Jessica's Reviews > The Way of Kings

202724
Aug 25, 2010

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from October 01, 2012 to February 09, 2013

I'm going to go ahead and calling this "read" for right now. I'm a little over halfway through, but things have been so crazy lately that I've had to turn to fluffier (and easier to carry around) books. I'm going to pretend that this is two 600 page books.

The first half? Amazing. Some of the most complex and fantastic world-building I've read in years. Love most of the characters, especially Kaladin.

The second half?

DOUBLE AMAZING. This is what epic fantasy should be. This is what drew me to the fantasy genre as a teen. If he wasn't already before, this book solidly puts Brandon on the shelf with people like Guy Gavriel Kay and Tolkien. No, seriously. I know I will get hate mail for this, and understand that I love, love, love The Sword of Shannara and The Belgariad . . . but this book was better than anything Brooks or Eddings has ever done.

This is some hella world-building, characters that you want to know in real life, plus crazy cool action sequences. You want political machinations, religious and philosophical conundrums, even romance? Yeah, it's in here. (Warning: A middle-aged couple makes out. It's not gross, it was charming.)

And . . . well . . . I love my husband but if Kaladin were a real person . . .

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Way of Kings.

10/02/2012 page 90
8.0% "PAGE 90! WOOT! ;)" 1 comment
10/13/2012 page 565
44.0% "Taking a little breather to read something else. This could easily be two books, but then I suppose it would be a twenty book series . . ."
12/14/2012 page 625
49.0% "This book is amazing, but I had to take a little break. Each character's arc could be one entire book. The scope of this is breathtaking." 1 comment
02/05/2013 page 740
58.0% "AND NOW THE SECOND HALF!"
02/07/2013 page 1025
81.0% "I love Kaladin and I'm not afraid to say it. If anything happens to him, I take comfort in the fact that I KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE, SANDERSON!"
06/28/2016 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Tiana (new) - added it

Tiana Good luck with this beast of a novel :) (It's HUGE!) It took me until about half way to get into it, but then I was hooked!

Daphne I love this book! It's amazing!

Ally The BEST BOOK EVER!

message 4: by Evie (new)

Evie My sister really likes Brandon Sanderson's novels!

message 5: by Hwee (new)

Hwee Goh Just to let you know, I'm appreciating your reviews all the way from Singapore! (And my girls, your books!)

Jessica Hwee wrote: "Just to let you know, I'm appreciating your reviews all the way from Singapore! (And my girls, your books!)"

Thank you!