Elizabeth (Stuffed Shelves)'s Reviews > The Paper Magician

The Paper Magician by Charlie N. Holmberg

8381908

bookshelves: magic

I read this at the beginning of 2015 and was highly disappointed.

I thought it was an extremely vivid dream that was trying to be quickly put into written words, and I was confused half the time. When I start a book, I want to become invested in the characters, so I can feel more attached to them and empathize with the ups and downs.

I felt there wasn't enough detail put into either main characters, so when an extreme rescue mission comes up, I had to find out what happened, but I could've been more on the edge of my seat, if I had more to go on who these characters are.

I started the second book in the series in hopes of getting to know the characters and stick with them, but I soon became lost and put it down and reread this book again.

I think with this author, every sentence contains a little bit of information you're supposed to hold onto. The dream like state in the heart, was much clearer when I read the sentences over and over trying to decipher and picture what the author is trying to convey here.

I found it to be so much better the second go around! It's quirky and I guess isn't for everyone, but I'm glad I have it a second chance. Now on to book 2.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Paper Magician.

Quotes Elizabeth Liked

Charlie N. Holmberg
“She didn’t need a paper dog reminding her what a fool brain she had inside her skull.”
Charlie N. Holmberg, The Paper Magician

January 31, 2015 – Started Reading
January 31, 2015 – Shelved
January 31, 2015 –
January 31, 2015 –
February 2, 2015 –
35.0% "It's finally picking up."
February 4, 2015 –
46.0% "I thought this book was going to go no where at first. I'm excited it's getting some action."
February 8, 2015 –
0.0% "this is so slow and im having difficulty picturing whats being described. has anyone had this issue?" (Kindle Edition)
May 8, 2015 –