Francis Fish's Reviews > Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship

Clean Code by Robert C. Martin

liked it
Read 2 times. Last read May 16, 2010.

The first half of this book is well worth a read. Then I was reminded of Martin Fowler's (I think) comment that the original Design Patterns Elements of Reusable Software book was a response to the limitations of C++. It dovetailed so well into Java because Java has a lot of the same annoying limitations, and in some ways is even harder.

The latter section of the book contains some worked examples that I didn't always agree with because they seemed to be totally over done. A lot of the refactorings came from limitations in the language and even then felt arbitrary and not that "clean", more like differences of opinion.

In light of this I think the book would have been better titled Clean Java, and then we'd all know where we stand. Have to say I was disappointed by the case studies. I think if you're a jobbing Java programmer you will get a real benefit from this book. I use dynamic languages like Ruby and most of the problems described in need of refactoring just never happen.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clean Code.

Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
Started Reading
May 16, 2010 – Finished Reading
August 25, 2010 – Shelved
September 10, 2010 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Ash (new)

Ash Moran Thanks for the review. It's *finally* shoved me off the fence and made me decide not to bother with this one.

Francis Fish If we ever manage to be at the same event at the same time I'll lend you my copy :)

Simon Collis I'd agree. C# has a lot less of these issues and the Java bias definitely gets in the way.

message 4: by Abhishek (new)

Abhishek Kumar Hey Francis, Thanks for your helpful review. I am in a dilemma to pick up this book or not for the very reason I don't work with Java. I am more of a Python and JavaScript guy. Having read this book, can you please suggest me a book that will help me write clean code, but not stuff me with concepts of Java, that I will most probably won't be using anytime in the future. Thanks in advance.

message 5: by Padraig (new) - added it

Padraig Abishek, have you checked out Clean Code JavaScript on github? https://github.com/ryanmcdermott/clea...

message 6: by Abhishek (new)

Abhishek Kumar Hey Padraig! Thanks for your comment! I have checked it out, and it is super helpful!