Francisco's Reviews > Manias, Panics and Crashes: A History of Financial Crises, Sixth Edition

Manias, Panics and Crashes by Charles P. Kindleberger

M 50x66

liked it
bookshelves: economics

A good introductory book to the history of financial cycles, but only for people with some background in economics.
I didn't like the style. Many times it felt like an endless list of historical examples that illustrate an idea. The idea that financial crises across the world are connected is repeated ad nauseam. Lehman Brothers didn't deserve its own chapter.
It doesn't read as a treatise on the economics causes and consequences of financial cycles, panics, etc., and it doesn't read as an economic history book. It tries to be both, and it fails at both. I don't like the organization of the content by chapters.
I still recommend the book, if you are very interested in the topic. If you're in a rush and want to get the gist, read the last chapter.
I wonder how this compares to "This time is different." I will find out this year.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Manias, Panics and Crashes.

Started Reading