Morgan E's Reviews > Greta and the Goblin King

Greta and the Goblin King by Chloe Jacobs

bookshelves: part-of-your-world, youre-like-really-pretty, kiss-the-girl

So is it just me or does the cover chick look like Karen Gillan/ Amy Pond?

Geronimo!
Actually holding the book, not so much. Close though.

You know when you start reading a book and instantly you know it's going to be a favorite?

This is one of those books for me. I was planning of 5 staring it but throughout the book there were little inconsistencies that I just couldn’t overlook. Like every time Greta thinks about home, she mentions how it's fuzzy and she doesn't recall much.

“She couldn’t remember exactly what he looked like, or how he smelled, and she couldn’t remember the timbre of his voice, but she remembered his promise that the tooth fairy would come and leave her a dollar.”

But later on the same page…. “Her hand went to the chain around her neck. Inside was a tiny photograph of her parents, the only thing she had.” How does she not remember their faces when she has a picture?

This is an epic fantasy adventure that delivers a scandalous romance between a human and goblin*. Although at first you do wonder if it will just be a romance novel then after the first 50 pages or so the epic adventure starts. I didn’t mind reading the romance. Chloe Jacobs delivers a juicy romance in this one. Which is funny, I say the romance was a little much in the beginning but after finishing I was wishing there was more throughout the entire book and maybe more towards the end. For some reason I keep thinking that maybe Greta is from Mylena. Throughout the entire book she talks about feeling the creatures around her and also having a feel of the land.

“Greta I’m scared,” The boy whispered. He curled up into a tight ball in the center of the pelts. “Are you going to come back?”
She knelt before him and took his hand. Placing a kiss on his palm, she closed his tiny fingers over it. “Of course I’m coming back, magpie. You keep this safe, because I’ll want it back, do you hear me?”

Greta was great main character. I loved her! She’s smart, sassy, classy, badass, motherly, selfless and loyal. She loves and she learns to put others before herself. I feel like I should mention the fact that in the beginning of the book she is a badass bounty hunter and somewhere towards the middle she turns into the one always needing to be saved. How did that happen? Isaac was also a great character. At times I wished he had a bigger role throughout this book but what I did see of him made me like him.

“His jaw clenched, “You’re mine, Greta. I would bring you back from death itself if I had to.”

This book does have a love triangle but it wasn’t overbearing. I liked Wyatt. I’m not sure if I could really call it a love triangle, though. Wyatt likes Greta but all she sees is Isaac.

“I saw the way he looked at you, Greta. It went beyond the eclipse. He looked at you as if he would defy the law, the moons, and the Great Mother herself to-“
“That’s ridiculous,” she cut him off. “How could you have possibly seen all that? It was pitch dark, for one thing, and-“
“I saw it because I feel the same way. And because I knew even before he showed up that there was something you weren’t telling me.”

I really enjoyed this book even though there were some inconsistencies with the writing and some editing errors. I would still recommend this book to everyone who loves romance and epic adventure!

*It's only scandalous because she is human. No Smut! Sorry Guys! This novel is PG but still amazing!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Greta and the Goblin King.

January 30, 2015 – Shelved
January 30, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
February 11, 2015 – Started Reading
February 11, 2015 –
page 5
1.79% "Her knife was at his throat before he could blink, going a little way towards salvaging the pride that had been damaged when he managed to sneak up on her. "Maybe you've forgotten, but I don't play nicely with others."\n His arm tensed under her grip and his gaze flickered to her mouth almost hesitantly. "On the contrary, I think the two of us would play very well together."\n \n Isaac<3 Greta<3"
February 13, 2015 –
page 103
36.92% ""Today is not your day, my friend," she said, swaying slowly from side to side to keep its attention fixed on her. "Why don't you accept defeat? Put that tail between your legs and get out of here, so I don't have to hurt you?"\n \n <3 Greta is my kinda girl;)"
February 13, 2015 –
page 124
44.44% "She ducked her head, feeling the heat rise in her checks. "Ah, well... aren't I lucky?"\n "I think showing off your sword might distract them from the fact that you have breasts... at least for a little while."\n \n "
page 178
63.8% ""That's a hard question. Maybe impossible to answer," she whispered. "I'm not sure anyone could make a decision like that unless the choice was forced on them." She put her hand on his shoulder and squeezed gently. "And you shouldn't have to make that decision now either. "Let's take this journey one step at a time, okay?"\n \n Ray<3 Not only is Greta a bad ass she also would make a great mother. Like me;)"
page 178
63.8% ""My wish?" Her head snapped back as if she'd been slapped. "You son of a-"\n Greta.\n She nodded. "Yes, damn you. This is my wish. Just do it. Get me out of here."\n Her vision blurred, the sick feeling in the pit of her stomach sucking her down farther and farther into the darkness.\n "Fine. Go." He said. "Awake."\n Isaac you bastard!\n [image error]"
page 190
68.1% ""My wish?" Her head snapped back as if she'd been slapped. "You son of a-"\n Greta.\n She nodded. "Yes, damn you. This is my wish. Just do it. Get me out of here."\n Her vision blurred, the sick feeling in the pit of her stomach sucking her down farther and farther into the darkness.\n "Fine. Go." He said. "Awake."\n Bastard!\n [image error]"
page 190
68.1% ""
February 16, 2015 –
page 232
83.15% "With each step that took her further away, she was more certain she should have said goodbye."
February 17, 2015 – Shelved as: part-of-your-world
February 17, 2015 – Shelved as: youre-like-really-pretty
February 17, 2015 – Shelved as: kiss-the-girl
February 17, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Jen ♥Star-Crossed Book Blog♥ Wonderful review, Morgan! Here's hoping you enjoy the 2nd just as much!

Morgan E Thanks Jen! I've just started it but it seems like it will be just as fast paced as the first!

Jen ♥Star-Crossed Book Blog♥ Morgan wrote: "Thanks Jen! I've just started it but it seems like it will be just as fast paced as the first!"

That's exciting! Can't wait to read your review. :)