Brett Williams's Reviews > Optics

Optics by Eugene Hecht

Keep at it, Eugene!

To be vitally human there are a few authors one must read - Shakespeare, Plato, Rousseau, Alan Bloom, and Eugene Hecht. With only limited exaggeration - notable among man's achievements is Hecht's new 4th edition of Optics. The first edition was the central (and only) text assigned in junior year optics for physics majors at many universities. As a near adolescent I was pleased by expert writing and well delivered humor in those far off years of college life.

The wonders of electromagnetics - which leads to everything in our modern age of electronics, radar, telescopes and computers - is beautifully clarified with clear pictures, concise description and completing examples in this new edition.

I hope Hecht lives to be a thousand such that the hundredth edition of Optics can enlighten people in the 31st century with as much joy and fascination as his 4th edition does today. After so many years away, I find Hecht there again to help me, not this time to peak inside the mind of nature, or to make a living, but to relive the joy of this miraculous topic and do so with added pleasure, knowing Hecht continues to improve the nearly perfect.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Optics.

Finished Reading