Inderpreet Uppal's Reviews > Wrong, for the right reasons

Wrong, for the right reasons by Ritu Lalit

Jan 30, 2015

Ritu lalit is an accomplished author! Yes, she is already the author of a four books and this is her fifth. How does it matter? It doesn’t as but I mention it because I was very impressed with the flow of the book. Also, I plan to read the rest of them. :)

I like the language of the book, expressive and communicative. Easily read and still gets the message across. No need for a dictionary to read this one; it is just you and this lovely book.
Yes it does have a few repetitive scenes at times but they only emphasis the human nature. Aren’t we all like that? Repeating what we like fell sad or happy about; sharing the same story again and again. Don’t we end up telling the same tale yet one more time?

The book starts off as an ordinary enough read, a divorce is imminent and I thought it is just going to the typical ‘washing of dirty linen in public’ but I was in for a surprise. Yes, of course lots of gossip, speculations and assumptions are made; but you do know what happens when you make assumption? You make an ass of me and you!

So don’t assume anything about the book, the dirty linen is what are lives are made of, it’s simple everyday language is its strength, the struggles and hardships add to the weight of the story. Yes, sleeping around does happen and it is not a woman alone who does it, another person is also involved! It is not just a guy thing!
Shaymoli’s story could have been any woman’s story. A typical middle class lady; who is married off even before she can decide that whether this is the life she wants. That is what makes this book such a good read and one book that I recommend to all.

Ritu talks of all the things we love sweeping under the carpet! An indifferent husband, insolent parent, useless relatives and selfish siblings and friends all get their due in this story. Where does a lady go? Whom does she turn to?

Why I find her a winner even though she is a loser in the eyes of the society? Well, because she just does not care!! She walks out on a cheating lowlife; something most females find difficult to do even in an abusive relationship.

Her struggles are the same of any woman who tries to live a life with dignity. If a woman thinks of stepping away from a failed marriage the first step she faces is resistance from family – hers.
She manages to survive and makes a good life for her kids. Her story is about being strong even when she feels weak. To take a stand and stick to it. Many a woman would have given up rather than try to get even. Back stabbing friends and an abusive mother – two places we usually find comfort are lost to her but she makes do with what she gets.

An open relation with a married neighbour; don’t judge till you read his story! This relationship gives her more acceptance than from anyone except her son. Yes, another reason I liked the book was the sensible, kind son. Shyamoli must be doing something right for her son turned out the kind any mom would be proud. Yes, the daughter is a bit different but then when are sibling alike? You gotta read to know exactly how?

There is enough depth in the novel, about the nitty-gritty of getting a divorce, being the second choice of your loved ones and living life without the ones you love. I recommend Wrong, For The Right Reasons for its truth and faith in the power of a woman.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wrong, for the right reasons.

January 30, 2015 – Shelved