Tiffany Westlund's Reviews > Wildalone

Wildalone by Krassi Zourkova

Jan 29, 2015

it was ok
bookshelves: giveaway-won, own, fiction

Not usually a fan of romance or fantasy that falls into the realm of Twilight-like tales, I was nonetheless intrigued enough by the synopsis to read WILDALONE, Krassi Zourkova’s debut novel. I received a copy as a Goodreads giveaway and I brushed away any hesitation when I saw it was "A Dark Bulgarian Folktale."

It began well enough. Krassi Zourkova's writing is very good and I was immediately drawn into the story of Thea, a young Bulgarian pianist who is leaving her home to study at Princeton. Before leaving, she stumbles upon a mystery - that she has an older sister who, 15 years before, also went to Princeton - but never returned.

Once she arrives at Princeton, the mystery of her sister becomes woven with mythology and folklore. Add the appearance of two bewitching brothers and the book quickly becomes a supernatural romantic love triangle. It was at this point that, despite the quality of writing, I began to lose interest. Thea went from a gifted musician with a mysterious secret in her family's past to a helpless female involved with two stalker rape-y mystery men. Within a couple chapters, I no longer liked any of the characters, but my curiosity of how Zourkova would wrap up the folklore aspect of the tale kept me reading right up until the end. Which I found very disappointing. I will not spoil it for readers, though.

All in all, Krassi Zourkova is a good writer and I might give her another try in the future, but I wasn't a big fan of this book. It started out strong and interesting and ended up shallow and bad romance-y. I do believe that there are many reader's out there who will love the story - it just isn't my kind of tale.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wildalone.

January 29, 2015 – Shelved