Sue Moro's Reviews > Monsters

Monsters by Ilsa J. Bick

did not like it
bookshelves: ya-books

Although I very much enjoyed Ashes, the first book in the series, I felt the series went downhill from there. The second book introduced way too many characters to keep track of and I honestly didn't really care about any of them. The three main characters get separated mid-way through Ashes (book one), and do not re-unite until the very end of Monsters. This frustrated me so much!

Monsters is a huge book, well over 600 pages! The author does include a list of characters and where they are and what happened to them after book two, Shadows, at the end of the book. That was somewhat helpful, but not to anyone who didn't look at the end first. Luckily I did, but even then, there were so many characters there that I couldn't keep track of them once I began reading Monsters. I think the book could have been cut in half. Most of it is repetitive. The people eaters, known as Chuckies, attack, then they attack again, and again, and again. Our characters are constantly under attack, or in danger, or being tortured. It just got to be too much! Honestly I couldn't wait for the end, and then the reunion was just sort of "meh". It's really too bad, because I enjoyed the characters and story so much in the first book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Monsters.

July 28, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read (Hardcover Edition)
July 28, 2013 – Shelved (Hardcover Edition)
January 27, 2015 –