Marcus Gipps's Reviews > Kick-Ass

Kick-Ass by Mark Millar

Aug 24, 2010

liked it
Read in July, 2010

I read this graphic novel a month or two ago, but forgot to add it to my list of books to write about. So this will be a nice small one. I haven’t seen the film – I don’t know why, I wanted to, I just seemed to miss it – but when it came out I was reminded that I hadn’t read the original comic, so when the film-tie in came back in to stock at work, I picked it up. I can see why the film-makers believed it would be such good source material – a new(-ish) idea, carefully thought through and well implemented, with some memorable designs and incidents. It was a fun read, and even if I’d bought the book and taken it home I don’t think I would have been too disappointed, although it didn’t feel to me that it would stand up to much re-reading. Perhaps I’m wrong, but it felt as if everything was out on the surface – once the initial premise and jokes had been understood, there wasn’t much more to dig my teeth into. Having said that, I still want to see the film, and if they do any more comics, I’ll buy them.

I read the film tie-in edition, out now, ISBN: 9781848565357

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kick-Ass.