Catherine's Reviews > The Ship

The Ship by Antonia Honeywell

The Ship is an engaging, page turning dystopian novel and I say that as someone who does not naturally gravitate towards futuristic or sci-fi reads.

The reason it was a successful read for me was that at the story's heart is a family and that is something we can all understand- how a mother sacrificed for her child and struggled to bring her up well in a fractured society, how a misguided father tried to do the same but in a very different way. The young protagonist Lalla is likeable, but it is her mother who intrigues me most and I would have liked more of her, and perhaps more of how two such different people could have fallen and love and married because when we meet Lalla's mother and father they do not seem a likely pair, but perhaps that is what the brave new world has done to their love.

Honeywell is an excellent story teller. There were moments I was reminded of the writing of Flannery O'Connor. Honeywell has a way of implying menace in the ordinary and that heightens the drama. Somehow, from the moment we meet Michael, we know he is bad news. His ego mania and hubris are almost of Greek tragedy proportions. Lalla is the requisite amount of brave and innocent. A protected child with little knowledge of the outside world so her coming of age is a brutal and explosive one.

The Ship is a filmic book with short episodic chapters. The pace races along flashing back and forth revealing more about the land and life the shipmates left behind as they journey further away. No doubt this action packed, tense tale will be picked up by a studio and turned in to a blockbuster. Rightly so.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ship.

Finished Reading