Debbie's Reviews > All-Of-A-Kind Family

All-Of-A-Kind Family by Sydney Taylor

Jan 06, 2008

bookshelves: oldbooks-historicalfiction, comfort-books
Read in September, 2008

This series was another of my favorites growing up. Five little girls (and later a brother) are growing up in New York City on the East Side in the early 1900s. They are a Jewish family living in a Jewish community with Papa's synagogue within walking distance of their tiny apartment. Almost everything I knew about Judaism when I was younger came from these books. I loved reading about their celebrations of the different holidays, of the rigorous preparations made lovingly each week for the Sabbath.

Each sister is unique, and together they have lots of adventures in their little part of the world. The youngest, Charlotte and Gertie, buy snacks to eat secretly in their bed when they're supposed to be asleep. Sarah, the middle sister, loses a library book and must gather the courage to tell the pretty new library lady. Henny, the tomboyish sister, makes everyone laugh with her costume for Purim. Ella, the eldest, falls in love for the first time.

Sydney Taylor makes the everyday exciting. Even dusting is fun, when Mama hides buttons in the front room for the girls to find as they work. The whole series is great, although this is one of my favorites.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All-Of-A-Kind Family.