Wicked Incognito Now's Reviews > Cutting for Stone

Aug 24, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: dnf-book-not-bad-may-read-later
Read from August 24 to October 07, 2010

I just can't listen to this anymore. I ONLY ever listen to audiobooks while exercising, and this one makes me want to lay down and take a nap.

I think audiobooks and I were just not made for each other. I can't listen to something and think about DOING anything at the same time. I can't drive and listen, I can't exercise and listen....I'm just too easily distracted. So...I give up.

Now, I'd like to say that this has no reflection on this book, but I'm afraid it does. The author goes off on tangent after tangent after tangent. At first, I enjoyed the little side trips. Now I just find it irritating. Get on with it already! There's bound to be a story here, but I haven't arrived at it yet.

I may not have thought the story were too slow had I read the book instead, because I couldn't help but think how much faster I'd be reading than the narrator if I had the book in hand. So, maybe it would be more palatable that way. I don't know. But 24 hours is a long audiobook to be bored the entire way through.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cutting for Stone.

08/25/2010 "I'm only a few chapters into this book but can already feel it building into an epic storytelling adventure that I will never forget." 1 comment
08/31/2010
15.0% "the delivery of these twins is almost more than I can handle"
09/02/2010
15.0% "alright, I'm off for my four-mile-walk, the only impetus for which is my desire to listen to this novel on my ipod"
07/02/2016 marked as: dnf-book-not-bad-may-read-later

Comments (showing 1-23)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 23: by AH (new)

AH I so agree with you. I tried to listen to The Looking Glass Wars, and while the narrator had a pleasant voice, I kept finding myself falling asleep and not remembering what happened. I have heard some good ones - Kids books like Jacob Two Two and the Hooded Fang - Totally an awesome audio book, but I'd rather read.

Wicked Incognito Now I find myself thinking about something else while I'm listening to the audiobook. That's something I definitely do not do while reading. So, I realize I'm thinking about something else and I have no idea what's going on in the story.

It's all about reading fast for me. When my kids were little, and I read novels to them, my eyes would actually start hurting because I had to physically force them to slow down in order to keep pace with my voice. It really is weird how easy it is to process written words faster than we can say them and hear them.

message 21: by Laura (new)

Laura I'm not a huge fan of audiobooks either. I enjoy the act of reading too much! The only series that I have successfully listened to on audiobook and enjoyed were Harry Potter and Dark Materials. The best time for me to listen to audiobooks is right before bed. I'll turn off all the lights, plug in my earphones, and listen for half an hour to an hour. I realize some people might fall asleep doing this, but luckily I'm a very light sleeper :o)

Wicked Incognito Now Yeah, I imagine that would be the optimum time for me to listen to audiobooks as well. Since I obviously can't DO stuff while listening :-)

I do like to listen to an audiobook on my iPod when I'm on a long bus trip (not car trip because my husband likes to listen to music loud when he's driving, and when I'm driving I can't concentrate on a plot). Yeesh. I'm so picky about things.

I've heard great things about the Harry Potter narrator.

message 19: by AH (new)

AH I think that audio books are probably best when you have a long drive somewhere.

message 18: by Laura (new)

Laura The Harry Potter narrator is amazing and so talented! You should give the audiobooks a try. The only thing I didn't like about the HP audiobooks was when characters went into long explanations. Do you remember the scene in Prisoner of Azkaban when they are all in the shrieking shack and talking at length about Sirius's past? Well, I now loathe that scene! Reading that chapter would probably take 10 to 20 minutes, but listening to it on audiobook took about an hour!

message 17: by Tina (new)

Tina I like audio books because I'll pop one in while I'm cleaning or cooking or especially if I am folding/ironing laundry. But it totally depends on the narrator. I listen based on the reader. Jim Dale who does the HP books is amazing. As is Anna Fields who narrates most of the Susan Elizabeth Phillips books. I have about 6 I will listen to read the phone book. But this is why I am having a hard time burning off my credits. Listening to the samples of some great books I'd normally love the listen to, the narrators are turning me off them.

Wicked Incognito Now That's what I need to do! Listen to samples. There have been some audiobooks that I just couldn't wait to get back to. Most recently, I listened to The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and I loved it. There were multiple narrators, and the story is told in the epistolary style, so it worked very well for me.

I really hate when a narrator attempts different male and female voices, and tries to make every character have a distinctly different voice. It's irritating.

I think I'll try those SEP audiobooks. I love SEP and I doubt her stories will make me want to go to sleep.

message 15: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina Rutter I think there should be different speeds to choose from on audio books. I know this is an old conversation, but I just cam across it. Everytime I try to listen to an audio book I end up hating the book, so I don't touch them anymore. If I could have one that read at the same pace I do that would be great!

Linda C I do listen to audio books in the car, but generally only to mystery or espionage, not something that I would necessarily read in paper, but it passes the time in the car. I wouldn't read something that depends on character development etc., I just want action. What annoys me the most about audio books is the stupid voices that the narrators feel compelled to use-- just read the damn book PLEASE! I can do the voices in my head!!!

message 13: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim an audio book is not a book. It's more like a movie. Should be a separate category of reviews.

Wicked Incognito Now True. I did chose the "audiobook" setting for this review, and I do think the material had something to do with my actual enjoyment. But it's not a fair review in light of my choice of media.

Fabiana I think the audiobook is read a little slow in my opinion. Plus it's long and lots of tangents, true. Maybe it would be easier to focus if you hear audiobooks a little faster, slightly, like 1.25 or 1.35 if 1.5x is too fast...

Kristi I am currently listening to this book on audio and am really enjoying it! Originally, I was flipping back and forth from audio to book but am now just sticking to the audio version. I look forward to my drive to work as it allows me to escape and in this case the reader is very good. I would not recommend this book to someone listening to an audio book for the first time as it is 19 disks! The reader is really what makes the difference!

Wicked Incognito Now I've listened to lots of audiobooks. I, personally, can't stick with him. He does a painstakingly slow reading, which might work for some, but it drives me bonkers.

Kristi You're right...he is a bit of a slow reader. But in this case, it was just what I needed as it allows me to relax on my way into work (de-stress and not think of my day ahead). I also think in this case it was the story that kept me wanting to hear more. I actually just finished this story by reading the last few chapters...in no time at all.

message 7: by Casseroll (new)

Casseroll Speed up your audio player by 1x or 2x if possible.

Dayna I read the text version and I still thought the beginning got off to a very slow start, so it may not have been your audio version. Luckily I stuck with it because it is a beautiful story, but it didn't truly hold my interest until almost half way through.

Kirsten I love audio books, but this one is a great read (and I'm a slow reader). I think it's worth the time.

message 4: by Schandana (new) - added it

Schandana Nowadays my only books are audio books. I think I would really enjoy this book had it not been for the narrator. Even old grandma would read with more enthusiasm than this Sartaj Garewal. And to think he got paid for it. I hate him for making me want to stop listening to the book after one CD.

Heather Prescott Why would you rate a book based on the audio version when you don't like audio books. Kind of unfair.

Wicked Incognito Now Because I listened to the audiobook; I didn't read the book. I have no other way of reviewing the book. Why would I go read the book itself if I was bored out of my mind listening to the story? I don't dislike all audiobooks, but I did dislike this one. I don't think it's unfair, considering that I have stated up front that my review is based on listening to an audiobook. So anyone who would decide to read or not read this book based on my review would take that into consideration.

message 1: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Martinez I also was trying to "read" the audiobook and the reader just isn't the right person for the job here. His reading is boring...I couldn't get through the 3rd disc. I think they would have done better with another reader, but I wasn't crazy about the story anyway.