Rebecca's Reviews > The Sweet Far Thing

The Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray

Jan 06, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: young-adult
Recommended for: someone who wants an easy, escapist reading experience

** spoiler alert ** Can I just start by saying that the 2nd book in this trilogy is the best of all. After reading the third book, I find myself still FULL OF QUESTIONS AND DISAPPOINTED with the ending. Seeing that this book is the last one, I expected to have a lot more resolution to the story of Gemma Doyle. I feel that the book was not edited well enough as well. The plot was all over the place, which means you had no idea where the story could go, and there were no rules to follow. I usually expect that fantasy or science fiction novels will have a universe full of rules that are followed and explained fairly well! This is not the case! I really the author would've set up better "rules" for the realms and the use of its magic. I kept thinking about what Gemma could do and "why doesn't she do this" with her magic. I really think what Gemma chose to use her magic for was odd. She was so strong at the end of the second book. The third book begins and you discover that she has taken a u-turn and is whiny and uses her magic strangely. I kept thinking, "she is still a teenager, so maybe that is how a teenager would act?" I found myself exhausted at the end of this book. The one true source of light in this book was Kartik! Thank goodness for his character or I would've gave up on the book entirely. I really wish for a fourth book "Kartik's Return: Love Conquers All!" That last sentence is my hopelessly romantic side busting out. Can I also say that some of the writing was a bit lame. I laughed inside when I read that someone was "as pale as cheese." That just doesn't speak to me, for I have never considered cheese to be pale. It's just cheese, you know. There were beautiful parts as well and they all involved Gemma and Kartik's romance! I will remember the tiny bits of romance I was given and center my thoughts there. I will try not to remember the rest. And someone please tell me: Why can't Kartik appear to Gemma from the tree just as Eugenia Spence did?" It's driving me nuts!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sweet Far Thing.

Started Reading
January 1, 2008 – Finished Reading
January 6, 2008 – Shelved
January 13, 2008 – Shelved as: young-adult

Laura Heitz Amen to that! I have to try to forget the ending and hold onto the moments between Gemma and Katrik. I don't think I would have been so emotionally involved with this book had it not been for Katrik's character. I am as lost as you are.

Demetria I was also left wondering if Gemma's actions were so erratic because she was still a teenager. Regardless, it was very frustrating.

message 3: by Chloe (last edited Dec 22, 2010 10:44AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chloe I was thinking the same thing. Why can't Gemma talk to Kartik like she talked to Eugenia? I'm not sure how the tree worked anyway. I agree with that statement about the rules in a fantasy book. These were not well explained. Although they did make it clear that the magic was constantly changing and the rules we knew of were being broken left and right.