Lisa Vegan's Reviews > Into the Forest

Into the Forest by Jean Hegland

bookshelves: fiction, orphaned-and-quasi-orphaned-kids, reviewed, favorites, novel, speculative-fiction, 1-also-at-librarything, goodreads-author, readbooks-female-author-or-illust, z1999, zz-5star
Recommended to Lisa by: Michele
Recommended for: everyone who enjoys fiction

This became one of my favorite books as soon as I read it; I was totally immersed while reading and continue to dwell on this book. I almost gave it 4 vs. 5 stars though, because I “didn’t like” the end. But, I realize, it’s not that I thought the end was poorly done; it was just difficult for me to agree with aspects of the decisions made. The fact that certain happenings were so painful for me, shows how powerful this book seemed to me. This is a beautifully told story about 2 sisters who must fend for themselves in a world where civilization has broken down. Suspenseful and heartwarming. Does make one think about relationships, what’s important in life, and how much courage one would have if faced with similar circumstances.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Into the Forest.

Started Reading
January 1, 1999 – Finished Reading
May 12, 2007 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

Carissa Loved your review!
Btw, I'm vegan too! heeeeey

Lisa Vegan Carissa wrote: "Loved your review!
Btw, I'm vegan too! heeeeey"

Thanks, Carissa. Yay. There are many vegans on Goodreads. Always happy to meet another vegan. There can never be too many.

Lisa Vegan Carissa, Ah, I see you also gave this book 5 stars!

message 4: by Meg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Meg Ferrante Lisa, almost did the 4 v 5 stars for the exact reason -- but then I thought of how loopy loo I would get under the same circumstances. Plus, childbirth changes you... the author captured that perfectly. They weren't thinking straight but they weren't in straight circumstances. In the end, they trusted the woods over civilization. Man v. nature -- LOVED this book. Did you know it's going to be a movie????

Lisa Vegan M.M., I also love this book and no I didn't know it was going to finally be a movie. I'll carefully watch trailers and reviews though because sometimes with my favorite books I choose not to watch their movies. I want to remember my own opinions about how people and places look and movies almost always leave out chunks of the books. That's exciting though.

Lisa Vegan Oh, yes. Ellen Page and Evan Rachel Wood. It could be great. The good news is the movie might get more people to read the book. I'm always surprised at how few people have read it!!!

Lisa Vegan M.M., Do you think you'll see the movie?

I really hope that more people will read the book nevausr of it.

message 8: by Meg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Meg Ferrante Lisa wrote: "M.M., Do you think you'll see the movie?

I definitely will. I actually have an opposite policy because I find watching movies based on books only proves that print is the superior medium. Every once in awhile, when the movie pulls it off, it's a pleasant surprise (The Help came darn close for me...Water for Elephants was pretty good....) And then there is the uber rare movie that eclipses the book (Forrest Gump for sure!) You should see it and we'll meet back to see what we think! When does it come out?

Lisa Vegan The Help was good! Another good movie adaptation was The Secret Life of Bees. And, of course, To Kill a Mockingbird, though the book is still better.