Didi's Reviews > Intoxicate

Intoxicate by Tessa Teevan

it was ok
bookshelves: romance, his-pov, friends-to-lovers, i-m-a-military-man, waste-of-time

2.5 STARS

Once again, I'm the odd woman out with this book. This is a crowd favorite, the whole series, really. But I didn't like the first book and although I liked this more than that one, it was still a very 'meh' read for me. I'll just explain why I didn't like it much because hey, so many others did and it's probably best to read it for yourself since my issues all have to do with personal taste.

Kalli was an alright heroine. She was caring and selfless, funny, sweet....but she was also a little too out there for me. I found her approach to pursuing Xavier very ruthless and over the top. She pushed him in the direction she wanted, she was manipulative. I understand Xavier needed the extra push. But I'll get into why I didn't like him much next. For me, Kalli was not my favorite type of heroine. Things she said, did, it was all a little too in your face.

Xavier came across as a weak, conflicted and indecisive man. I understood his predicament with having Lily and all, but at the end of the day he was weak and had to be pushed into actually doing something to secure Kalli. That's a huge turn off for me. I like my hero's to have balls, the unequivocal determination to go after the women they love and want. It would have been okay if he started out not actively chasing Kalli then going full out on his own, but even when he did finally confess his feelings and intentions he did it by being manipulated by Kalli.
The story was okay. There wasn't much going on other than Xavier and Kalli. I wished there would have been a stronger secondary cast presence to break up the monotony, or a secondary plot but there you have it. I finished by forcing myself, though the last 10% was good.

I've chalked this up to not liking the characters and being bored with the story--the same issues I had with the first book--but this is a series that many people love so don't take my word for it. Thanks for the rec Sharon! It truly was a 'it was me not you' situation! <3

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Intoxicate.

January 28, 2015 – Shelved
February 2, 2015 – Shelved as: his-pov
February 2, 2015 – Shelved as: romance
February 2, 2015 – Shelved as: waste-of-time
February 2, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)

*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time Great honest review Didi!

Didi J *I did it all for the nookie.The book nookie* wrote: "Great honest review Didi!"

Thanks J!

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Really well said Didi! Based on your descriptions of the hero and heroine dynamic this wouldn't have worked for me either had I read it. Better luck on your next read! :)

message 4: by Kristen (new) - added it

Kristen Nicely said, Didi. I always feel like the odd one out when I review some popular books too. :)

Didi Lady Vigilante (Feifei) wrote: "Really well said Didi! Based on your descriptions of the hero and heroine dynamic this wouldn't have worked for me either had I read it. Better luck on your next read! :)"

Thanks Feifei! You def would have been annoyed ;))

Didi Kristen (Peddler of Smut) wrote: "Nicely said, Didi. I always feel like the odd one out when I review some popular books too. :)"

Thanks Kristen <33

message 7: by Carissa (new)

Carissa Wonderful honest review, Didi. I hate weak heros.

Didi Carissa wrote: "Wonderful honest review, Didi. I hate weak heros."

Thanks Carissa! So do I.

Didi Lisa wrote: "Awesome review, Didi!!!!!"

Thanks Lisa!

message 10: by A_Ryan (new) - added it

A_Ryan I am the odd woman out on a few titles too, and I always worry that maybe I missed some big integral part of the story or something, so I know how you feel. I also like my men to have balls (I laughed so hard when I read that part!) and the strength of character to pursue their own desires too. And I'm not a fan of manipulative women. So I might give this book a miss, and hope you find another gem soon.

message 11: by Didi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Didi A wrote: "I am the odd woman out on a few titles too, and I always worry that maybe I missed some big integral part of the story or something, so I know how you feel. I also like my men to have balls (I lau..."

Lol, thanks A! I just like to see men with strong character. Had the hero held back but consistently without the push and pull I'd have liked him more. Oh, well, can't love them all! :))

SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ Sorry this didn't grab you Didi! = S

Sandy ღCoffee Addict Booksღ Great review Didi!

message 14: by Didi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Didi SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ wrote: "Sorry this didn't grab you Didi! = S"

Thanks SueBee!

message 15: by Didi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Didi Sandyღ wrote: "Great review Didi!"

Thanks Sandy!

message 16: by Jessi (new) - added it

Jessi Great review Didi :)

message 17: by Didi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Didi Jessi wrote: "Great review Didi :)"

Thanks Jessi!

message 18: by S.M. (new)

S.M. West Great honest review, Didi!

message 19: by Didi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Didi thanks Suzanne!

message 20: by Brandi (new)

Brandi Great, honest review, Didi! Hope your next read is better! xx

message 21: by Didi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Didi Brandi wrote: "Great, honest review, Didi! Hope your next read is better! xx"

Thanks Brandi :) xo

message 22: by Mo (new) - added it

Mo Nice review, Didi. I liked the first two but could not get into the 3rd one. Not sure if I will get to this one ....

message 23: by Didi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Didi Mo wrote: "Nice review, Didi. I liked the first two but could not get into the 3rd one. Not sure if I will get to this one ...."

Thanks Mo, I think this series isn't working for me at all.