Olivia (Bookcomet)'s Reviews > The Ring and the Crown

The Ring and the Crown by Melissa de la Cruz

liked it
bookshelves: borrowed, historical-fiction, coverluv, steampunk

A world of magic, politics and love where passions run high.

I'm not going to lie. I really didn't have high expectations for this book. At all. The reviews I'd seen hadn't been brilliant and I wasn't a fan of the author's 'Blue Bloods' series. Thankfully, I did like this one more than I thought. Otherwise that beautiful cover would completely have gone to waste.

I'd describe this book as following 4 main female characters (Marie-Victoria, Aelwyn, Isabella and Ronan) and one male, a man named Wolf. It was told in third person but narrated various scenes of the lives of the 5 characters listed above. I surprised myself to actually liking all the characters listed above (usually I'm pretty biased and find one point of view that I like most/least). But I was very interested in all their stories and really felt for them.

I love the way that Arthurian legends have highlighted so heavily in the story. There are mentions of characters like Merlin and Vivian and I really wish that there were more books that kind of showcased these legends. Being from a background rich in British and Celtic history, these legends have featured a lot in tales my parents used to tell me. Plus who couldn't love BBC's television adaption of Merlin. That actually has to be one of my favourite shows ever. Ever, ever, ever.

I also adored Melissa de la Cruz's writing. Even though she was writing in third person, I never felt detached from the story. Her writing just kind of flows perfectly and is very easy to read. I got through this book very quickly and could easily have kept going.

While for my enjoyment level of the story I would rate the book 4/5 stars (or something like that) for most of the book, I feel like the ending and the story fell a bit flat over all. I feel like I was waiting for some big climax or some complication of sorts to happen. I don't really feel as though much happened over the entire course of the novel. The story seemed to be more about who was falling in love with who.

Which left me feeling totally disappointed towards the end. I can't really say much more without spoiling it but I decided to drop my rating because I felt a little cheated. Like everything that did happen in the story happened for nothing and it was pointless.

Although, I did appreciate the twists. Even if some of them made me a little bit frustrated.

And I loved the way it was kind of written as an alternative as to how history could have gone. I would love to read more books like that in YA.

The other thing is, we didn't get to see much of the friendship particularly between Marie-Victoria and Aelwyn. I don't feel like I really saw much closeness between them, only relied on what the author had shared about their past, which to be honest wasn't that much.

I thought this review would be more positive but apparently now that I'm reflecting on it, things have changed. I probably won't continue on with the trilogy. However, I actually did enjoy what I read, believe it or not. It was a nice, light read.

3/5 comets
The Earth shook. If they thought the Leaning Tower of Pisa was leaning before...
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ring and the Crown.

January 28, 2015 – Shelved