Helen's Reviews > The Circle

The Circle by Mats Strandberg

bookshelves: competent-female-characters, magic, reviewed, young-adult

The Circle is a Swedish Young Adult novel. Set in the small town of Engelsfor in Sweden, The Circle follows six teenagers at the local high school that find out they have magic powers.

For the first few chapters I was a little confused by all the different characters as the viewpoint jumps between the girls, but by the middle of the book I had them sorted. They are all very different and there is enough character development to start getting to know each of them.

Not all of the girls were very likeable and they didn't get on with each other, this conflict and the regular action keeps the book moving nicely.

There wasn't enough use of their magic powers for me though, for most of the book the girls struggled to understand what they were and had no real idea how to use them. It might be more realistic this way, but I want to see more magic!

It's long for a young adult book, but it all wraps up nicely at the end, no cliff hangers here! So even though there are sequels this can be read as a one off.

I will be reading the next book though, I want to see them getting the hang of their magic powers and using them a bit more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Circle.

January 28, 2015 – Shelved