Serena Yates's Reviews > Blood Pond

Blood Pond by D.J. Manly

Aug 23, 2010

bookshelves: gay
Read in October, 2010 — I own a copy

Where do I even start with his one? It is an amazing book: the build of tension and the revelation of the mystery surrounding August's brother's death are extremely well done, the quality of the writing made it a joy to read, and the characters came to life for me as if they were real people.

August is just as much a haunted character as Bruce, the man he suspects of having information about his brother's death. Their interactions go from those of total strangers to being lovers, and back to distrust again. Both men are wounded and flawed, which made the entire story more real. Even the twist at the end, though it touched on the paranormal, wasn't too far out there for me to say: this could actually happen.

There is only one problem (well, it was for me): this is a horrific story. Blood-curdling, terrible and not for the faint-at-heart, don't-read-in-the-evening or when you're alone horror. It is not for nothing that this book has been on the All Romance top 10 list for thrillers for a few weeks now. Apparently, the people who know how to judge this genre of books appreciate its quality. Personally, I stay away from horror and thrillers because I get nightmares. A D.J. Manly though? Irresistible.

So, if you're a horror fan: you will love this book. And even if you're not: as long as you read it during daylight hours you should be fine. I think...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Pond.

message 1: by DJ (new)

DJ Manly Thanks for the great review. Sorry if I scared you...lol
xx
D.J.

Serena Yates DJ wrote: "Thanks for the great review. Sorry if I scared you...lol
xx
D.J."

LOL, I knew I was going to be scared before I started, but I couldn't resist one of your books. I have never in my life given a horror book more than 2 stars either, so this was a totally new experience for me. :-)

message 3: by DJ (new)

DJ Manly I'm glad you liked it. I don't write horror often...so it was just as scary for me...lol