Ruby Hollyberry's Reviews > Grand Central Arena

Grand Central Arena by Ryk E. Spoor

Not sure I'm going to bother finishing this. Not very far in but it doesn't seem like the kind of science fiction I like. I like the sort where the author has deep thoughts and insights about humanity and society and chooses science fiction as a template to showcase how they work. This seems to be the kind where the characters and plot exist mostly to showcase the wow-holycrap-cool technology the author thought up. Which has little pizzazz for me as I do not understand or care about any non-biological sciences and them only a little. Blah. Of course Heinlein could make me read about ballistics and like it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grand Central Arena.

August 23, 2010 – Started Reading
May 3, 2011 –
page 100
August 21, 2011 – Shelved as: not-owned
February 7, 2012 – Shelved as: won-t-be-reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Ryk (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ryk Spoor No, that's definitely not the sort of book I write. I write to show a fun story, and that's about it; the deepest thing about GCA is some of the implied backstory (the Anonymity War, the implications of the Hyperion Project) and all the varied references to things ranging from old golden age SF up through modern anime series. So if you're looking for deeper stuff, you don't want to finish GCA. Thanks for trying it, though!

message 2: by Ruby (new) - rated it 1 star

Ruby Hollyberry Sure! I read a lot of sci fi, but there are so many niches within it that appeal to different kinds of folks. My faves are Alan Dean Foster, Andre Norton, Elizabeth Moon, Sydney J. Van Scyoc, and best of all, Melissa Scott.