Harold's Reviews > 361

361 by Donald E. Westlake

Aug 23, 2010

bookshelves: noir
Read from August 23 to 26, 2010

My second book in this Hard Case Crime series and just as enjoyable. This stuff really fits the bill when you're in the mood for something easy and entertaining. It's like watching a noir movie. You can cast the characters in you're mind. I can see myself getting hooked on this stuff. This had the added attraction of taking place in and around NYC so the locales mentioned were all familiar to me. Westlake, under the name Richard Stark also wrote the Parker series. Lee Marvin played Parker in Point Blank. Perfect casting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 361.

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert I've read a bunch of Westlake's Dortmunder novels, which are a scream.

message 2: by Marc A. (new)

Marc  A. I second Bob P. on endorseing the entire Dortmunder series. Also, for an offbeat crime novel - and something to give as a pick-me-up to recently laid-off friends - I suggest Westlake's, "The Ax".

Harold I've decided I'll definitely be delving deeply into Dortmunder.

message 4: by Robert (new)

Robert I read "The Ax" on Marc's recommendation and because U realy liked Dortmunder. I could see where the humor came from, and I can see how and why he liked it so much. I suspect from your other reads that you;d like "The Ax" too, but it wasn't one of my favorites. I kept wanting it to be more like the Dortmunder books, and I kept looking for some of Dortnmunder's eccentric sidekicks to show up, but it didn't happen.

One thing that i really did like about the Westlake books that I've read is the couple of pages devoted to a completely wacky conversation amongst a crew of hard-core alkies at a second rate alkie gin mill. The brilliance of their failures to understand each other and the way their non sequiters work their conversation on multiple levels is absolutely hilarious