Laz's Reviews > The Drawing of the Three

The Drawing of the Three by Stephen King

bookshelves: adventure, horror, sci-fi, all-time-favorites

I knew ever since reading the first book that this series would only get better in time. To be honest, I expected it to become really good after the 3rd or 4th book but this one really is the turn. The first one is only a small tease of what this series is and can be.

Being a big Stephen King fan, I find his mind exceedingly sharp, and his thoughts utterly cohesive, building and building and then breaking everything apart. He's extremely talented and it shows in his work.

While in the first book we see Roland, the hero, wandering about in a desert, looking for the Dark Man and ultimately for the Dark Tower, in this we see Roland hungry, thirsty and battered, doing his best to survive. After accomplishing his first task, at the cost of someone's life, the book ends quite abruptly with not much of a cliffhanger.

In this book, Roland travels in time to bring together the people, the cards he drew represent, together. The Prisoner, The Lady of the Shadows and The Pusher. Each and every personality of those three people is unique, and some of those are sadists or even schizophrenic, or drug addicts. Only Stephen King would be able to create such a strange fellowship.

Time travel has always been a favorite subject of mine, and though Stephen doesn't really delve in the details of what a time travel entails, it's really enjoyable seeing him jump from time to time to find those he's looking for.

What I really loved about it, was the constant anxiety it caused me. It gave me panic attacks. It was fast-paced and unlike the first book, the plot was really thick and complex and made me fall in love with this series and cannot actually wait to get my hands on the next book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Drawing of the Three.

January 27, 2015 – Shelved
January 27, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
July 27, 2015 – Started Reading
July 28, 2015 –
page 319
79.95% "so much better than the first. I'm enjoying this immensely."
July 30, 2015 – Finished Reading