Heena Rathore Pardeshi's Reviews > Cube Sleuth

Cube Sleuth by Dave Terruso

19253213

bookshelves: netgalley, adult, crime, favorites, humour, fiction, mystery, read-in-2015

Note: I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Original Rathing: 4.5/5

PLOT | STORY
Cube Sleuth is an excellent book with an awesome plot line and mind-boggling twists. The story is pretty straight and simple to grasp but the twists make it a great mystery and will keep you thinking the entire time. I had a hard time figuring out who the possible murderer could be but, being an excellent mystery this book is, it proved me wrong like the hundredth time! The pace of the story was great and the morbid humour kept me entertained the whole time.

CHARACTERS
The characterisation is great. The lead character, Bobby pinker, is really well-developed and very well-thought-out character. David did a great job in making the readers understand Bobby, as an emotionally fucked-up character, very clearly. The personality of Bobby is that of a typical guy who lives in denial and his own thought-prison, unable to love anyone and running away from those who love him, thinking low about his own self.

ROMANCE
There’s quite a lot romance going on in the book. First Booby is in a relationship with Nancy and everything goes good, but the he cheats on her and dumps her as he felt that he wasn’t good enough for her, which really made me think of him as a jerk. Then he gets involved with Ron’s girlfriend, Helen, and both try to keep the relation going as they thought of each other as a substitute of Ron in their life. That relation ends when Helen cheats on Bobby. Then he realises his mistake and tries to do God-knows-what by sending Nancy (who’s still in love with him) a bunch of roses, that apparently he never did before. Well… as I said, Bobby is a typical “emotionally fucked up” guy.

WRITING
Cube Sleuth is a brilliantly written mystery with a sprinkle of dark comedy. The writing style was really simple and made this book a comfortable read for me. I really liked David’s sense of dark humour. Sometimes while reading in public I even giggled like a loon. David’s writing style is really unique. first he describes what’s going on and then he takes you back some days ago and starts to explain how that actually happened. This is how the chapters are written in the book, which was new to me and to be honest, I really liked it. At the beginning of each chapter I’m like “What!” and then by the end I’m like “Oohh!” So it kept me totally engrossed. I’m hoping to read more books by David in future.

BEGINNING
The pace of the book was great from the start. You get a clear idea about where the story is going and what is the plot about just in the starting pages. In the beginning I was convinced that Ron’s death was nothing more than a suicide but after just a few pages I was confident it was a murder, but it took me just few more pages to think again. It kept me guessing from the start, I really like this book for it.

ENDING
The ending is something I wouldn’t have expected even if someone would have told me beforehand! Yea, it was that impossible, and mind you, I’m not taking about ‘who the murderer was?’ but about the way it ended for Bobby. I was speechless after I read the last few lines and felt like I was in a void for some minutes. It was a really strong and effective ending.

BLURB
The blurb says it all. It couldn’t have been better and to the point.

COVER ART
I like the covers of both the editions. they plain and simple yet elegant.

Read the original review at The Reading Bud

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cube Sleuth.

January 27, 2015 – Shelved