Celeste's Reviews > The Count of Monte Cristo

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

Jan 26, 2015

bookshelves: classics-i-ve-read, monstrously-large, favorites

Full review now posted!

I finally finished! I feel like I’ve been reading this forever. Not because I didn’t like it, of course. Au contraire, I loved it! It’s a wonderful book, and definitely deserves it’s status as a classic. But it was dense and intricate and long, and wasn’t a book to be sped through. This tome is meant to be savored, and savor it I did. The Count of Monte Cristo is without a doubt the best tale of vengeance I’ve ever read, and one of the most intricately plotted books I’ve ever had the pleasure of picking up.

Edmond Dantes seems to have it all together. He loves his career aboard a merchant vessel, and the love of his life is waiting to marry him when he returns home. But there are those in his life who are jealous of his good fortune, of his love, of his happiness. And so, jealous “friends” plot the downfall of Dantes, and he’s arrested on his wedding day. His prosecutor, though he knows Dantes is innocent, is faced with information that would shine a terrible light on himself. Information that only Dantes knows. And so, the prosecutor has Dantes sent to Chateau d’If, where he hopes the prisoner will never be heard from again. But fate has other plans, and vengeance will be wrought on these four men who had succumbed to jealousy and ruined the life of another.

The Count of Monte Cristo is one of the most mysterious characters I’ve ever encountered. He’s richer than Midas, no one knows anything about his past, including his name, and he takes Paris completely by storm when he appears on the scene. He is both an avenging angel and an angel of mercy. As he ingratiates himself into three important families on the Parisian scene, we get to know these families and watch as their lives fall apart around them.

I’ve only ever read the abridged version of this book before. The Great Illustrated Classic was my very favorite book when I was about 8 or so. And I read the more “grown-up” abridged version in eighth grade. I thought I knew the story pretty well, but I wanted to have read the book in its entirety, so I finally picked it up. And I almost put it down. There were so many little details in the middle section of the book that I thought were superfluous. I got so bogged down for a while, and almost decided that the abridged version had been enough. But my mama didn’t raise no quitter, so I stuck with it. And I’m so glad that I did!

Those little details that I thought were pointless? They really mattered. As I started nearing the end and seeing how all of these small details were coming back into play, I was completely stunned by complex the plot was. Every single tiny aspect of this book, all of the things that I thought weren’t necessary were totally necessary. I was blown away by how everything came together in the end.

I could write a thousand more words about the characters, the methods of vengeance, the plot twists, and more. But, even though this is a classic story, I don’t want to spoil anything for those who have little exposure to the story. Suffice it to say that, without this book, our culture would be missing something, as this book has served as foundation and inspiration for countless stories in various formats. Is this a quick, easy read? Not even close. Is it worth the time and effort necessary to read it? It is indeed. Give it a read, but take your time. Don’t rush.

“All human wisdom is contained in these two words - Wait and Hope.”

For more of my reviews, as well as my own fiction and thoughts on life, check out my blog, Celestial Musings.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Count of Monte Cristo.

January 26, 2015 – Shelved
September 28, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
March 6, 2017 – Started Reading
March 6, 2017 –
page 172
13.48% "Starting issue 27. Just checked my hard copy, and I'm 171 pages in."
March 16, 2017 –
page 323
25.31% "That's the most poetic ode to the wonders of pot that I've ever heard. These guys are high as kites, man."
April 6, 2017 –
page 452
35.42% "Slowly but surely making progress."
April 16, 2017 –
page 523
40.99% ""There are two medicines for all ills: time and silence."

I believe the Count is the most conniving, manipulative, intelligent literary character I've ever had the pleasure of reading."
April 19, 2017 –
page 540
42.32% "Y'all, the Count is cracking me up. I almost feel sorry for Danglars. Almost. *cackles maniacally*"
May 18, 2017 –
page 723
56.66% "Slowly but surely."
May 31, 2017 –
page 821
64.34% "My progress on this book is sooooo sloooooow..."
June 4, 2017 –
70.0% "Woo! Getting closer to the finish line everyday!"
June 19, 2017 –
80.0% "Things are picking up steam!"
June 27, 2017 –
91.0% "The plot is so intricate!"
July 12, 2017 – Finished Reading
July 13, 2017 – Shelved as: classics-i-ve-read
July 13, 2017 – Shelved as: monstrously-large
July 13, 2017 – Shelved as: favorites

message 1: by Caleb (new)

Caleb M. You got me excited about the serial reader app. Testing it out with a short book, gonna be a great way for me to read Les miserables though if I enjoy it!! That one is 224 issues!

Celeste I'm doing a long one and a short one at the same time. The Jungle Book was fun, and I think I'm going to do Treasure Island now. But whenever I finish The Count of Monte Cristo, Les Miserables is next on my list of long reads!

message 3: by Caleb (new)

Caleb M. Thank you for sharing about the app. Glad i have it :)

Celeste You're so welcome, dear. Hope you enjoy it as much as I have! :D

message 5: by Hemant (new) - added it

Hemant "The Usurper" Kumar This book is great, one of my favorites. Enjoy reading!

Celeste Thank you, Hemant!

message 7: by Miche (new)

Miche Enjoy it! I love that one. I should re-read it sometime.

Celeste I read in in eighth grade, Miche, but a lot went over my head. I really wasn't read for it. But I am now! ;)

message 9: by Melika (last edited Mar 07, 2017 06:30AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Melika Lux Celeste wrote: "I read in in eighth grade, Miche, but a lot went over my head. I really wasn't read for it. But I am now! ;)"

I'll bet you were like, "Whaaaaaat?" after reading that hallucinogenic hashish scene, right? True confession: that was my exact reaction when I first read the book at the age of 26! ;P

Celeste I don't even remember the hashish scene! All I remembered was the basic plot and that there was an overabundance of French politics within the first 120 pages or so. :p

Melika Lux Celeste wrote: "I don't even remember the hashish scene! All I remembered was the basic plot and that there was an overabundance of French politics within the first 120 pages or so. :p"

Aha! You have something to look forward to. ;P And let's not forget TONS of characters! He's still one of my favorite authors, but, let's face it, ol' Alex wasn't known for his brevity. :}

Celeste Well, I believe he got paid by the line, so I can understand his tendency toward verbosity. ;)

Melika Lux Celeste wrote: "Well, I believe he got paid by the line, so I can understand his tendency toward verbosity. ;)"

Did he, really? I had no idea. He must have made a fortune, then. With that kind of incentive, I would have been cranking out door-stoppers, too! ;P

Celeste I believe so! If I'm remembering correctly, he got paid by the line and Dickens got paid by the word.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Did I already say how much I love this book? I hope you're enjoying it =)

Celeste I'm actually reading it right at this moment, Melissa, and I'm definitely enjoying it!

Audrey I really liked Monte Cristo and Treasure Island and totally loved Les Miserables.

Celeste Treasure Island wasn't my favorite, but I'm really enjoying this. I loved The Scarlet Pimpernel, Frankenstein, The Picture of Dorian Gray, and Jane Eyre. And I can't wait to read Les Miserables!!

message 20: by Caleb (new)

Caleb M. The picture of Dorian Gray is one of my all time favorite books! Glad you like it too Celeste!!

Celeste I love it, Caleb!! One of my favorites, as well! 😊

Audrey I didn't care much for Dorian Gray or Frankenstein but did really like The Scarlet Pimpernel and Jane Eyre. I also really like Wuthering Heights.

Celeste I'm reading Wuthering Heights right now, as well. Can't say that I'm loving it, but I like it more than the previous times I've tried it!

Audrey It takes a little while to get into. But the writing is beautiful.

Celeste Yes it is. The Brontë sisters were so talented!

Martyn Stanley I loved this book. It's one of my favourites.

Celeste It's pretty great so far, Martyn!

Melika Lux Celeste wrote: "Treasure Island wasn't my favorite, but I'm really enjoying this. I loved The Scarlet Pimpernel, Frankenstein, The Picture of Dorian Gray, and Jane Eyre. And I can't wait to read Les Miserables!!"

Oh, I am DYING to read Les Mis! It will probably take me the rest of my life to finish it, but I don't care! ;D

Celeste I think Les Mis is going to be my next big classic read. If I can ever finish this book, that is! 😂

Martyn Stanley I must read Les Miserables at some point. The trouble is, I won't be able to get this out of my head while reading certain scenes:- https://youtu.be/IBYfA3zTxFE

Audrey Martyn wrote: "I must read Les Miserables at some point. The trouble is, I won't be able to get this out of my head while reading certain scenes:- https://youtu.be/IBYfA3zTxFE"

LOL -- I loved the movie but was disappointed with Russell Crowe. The trailer's criticisms are about things that were left out for time, so the book explains things better. If the book is intimidating, there are abridged versions that'll do fine.

Celeste I honestly loved the movie. But I'm sure the book is even better!

message 33: by Melika (last edited Jun 09, 2017 07:38AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Melika Lux Celeste wrote: "I honestly loved the movie. But I'm sure the book is even better!"

I have only seen the original movie from the 30s, and it was fabulous! And I also saw the play in London in 2004. Do you remember that group S Club 7? Well, the blond guy, Jon, from it played Marius. He was really good.

I haven't seen the recent star-studded movie version, but I really want to! I:D

Celeste I've never seen the older movie, but I actually do remember S Club 7. And the star-studded movie was pretty incredible, in my opinion!

LittleBookDruid You make me feel less bad about taking forever to read it.

Celeste LittleBookDruid wrote: "You make me feel less bad about taking forever to read it."

Haha, it's a big book that should be savored instead of gulped!

message 37: by Petrik (new)

Petrik fantastic review my dear! damn... i forgot he was richer than Midas.. xD

Celeste Thanks, darling!! And yes, the man was rolling in money.

message 39: by Liam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liam Degnan One of my favorite books of all time =]. Glad you liked it, and great review!

Celeste Liam wrote: "One of my favorite books of all time =]. Glad you liked it, and great review!"

Thank you, Liam! It was an amazing book!

message 41: by Ginger (new) - added it

Ginger Great review Celeste!!

Celeste Thank you so much, Ginger!

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Yay!! You did it!! *claps* great review my sweet I cannot wait to read this!!

Celeste Thank you, my love!!! It's definitely worth reading. Just pace yourself!

Gayatri, eine Leseratte Wonderful review!

Celeste Thank you, Gayatri!

message 47: by Hemant (new) - added it

Hemant "The Usurper" Kumar Glad you liked it, it is one of my favourites too ! And I too have read the abridged version and that was long time ago. I have it on my kindle but it too long haha I'll read it when I'm more patient ;)

P.s. The link at the end doesn;t work for me - I mean I'm not able to click it..

Celeste Thanks, Hemant! If you're on the mobile app, the link doesn't work for some reason. You could try this: http://www.celestialmusings.org
Hope that works better!

message 49: by Hemant (new) - added it

Hemant "The Usurper" Kumar Celeste wrote: "Thanks, Hemant! If you're on the mobile app, the link doesn't work for some reason. You could try this: http://www.celestialmusings.org
Hope that works better!"

Thanks, nice layout. I like how you have trashed Austen and Bronte with 1 and 2 stars haha ;)

Kevin Excellent review Celeste! I love this one as well!

« previous 1