Pili's Reviews > Uprooted

Uprooted by Naomi Novik

bookshelves: 105-challenge-review-books, arcs

Another recommendation from bloggy friends that was an absolute success! A wonderful fantasy with wonderful characters, a plot that was never exactly what I expected and surprised me always for the best!

I started it an wasn't sure what to expect of it and very soon was enthralled with Agnieszka's voice and her story! I loved how she kept on being her own self, struggling with being told to change and finding her own way to do things despite it all. I loved how strong her love for her family and her amazing friendship with Kasia, that despite the ups and downs, is strong enough to brave the dangers of the Wood.

The Wood, oh boy, that's a whole character in itself, and probably my favourite part of the book, along with Agnierzka's journey of discovery of her own magic and her own worth. The Wood was all sorts of creepy and gruesome and simply fantasticly done! And when we get to learn about how it all started? Really NOT what I had expected and I loved how the climax was resolved!

I adored the relationship between Agnieszka and the Dragon, how it went from strong dislike, to reluctant respect & collaboration to explosive chemistry!
I really loved how things progressed with them, slowly and tentatively, but with plenty of spark and I loved that Agnieszka is not pasive about it, takes things into her own hands when the Dragon doesn't allow himself to, and when he runs away, she doesn't simply pine after him, she continues with her work and then doesn't take any of his nonsense.

I read this book in two big chunks, from start till about 56% then got into a slump once they got to court after the fight at the Wood and then went back to it and the court part that I wasn't too keen on was shorter than I expected and things started getting more interesting, dire and creepy very soon! In the end, I wanted the book to keep on going and be longer because I simply love the world too much! The ending is rather open and definitive at the same time, and although a sequel is not necessary, I wouldn't be adverse to getting more stories set in this world!

Very much deserved 4.5 stars to this one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Uprooted.

January 26, 2015 – Shelved
January 26, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
January 26, 2015 – Shelved as: 105-challenge-review-books
January 26, 2015 – Shelved as: arcs
February 7, 2015 – Started Reading
February 7, 2015 –
9.0% "Starting my buddy read for this one with Faye! So intrigued already! This is gonna be GOOD!"
February 9, 2015 –
14.0% "Whoops, and she finally got it!"
February 11, 2015 –
27.0% "I like the whole magic taken as an art and then taken as an exact science duality here!"
February 11, 2015 –
February 14, 2015 –
33.0% "Intriguing the mix of magic!"
February 14, 2015 –
47.0% "Swoons! Doomed rescue missions!!"
February 22, 2015 –
56.0% "Well, let's see what happens now in court..."
May 23, 2015 –
62.0% "Back to being hooked on this one!"
May 23, 2015 –
80.0% "YES! Back to working together!!"
May 24, 2015 –
90.0% "Now I really wasn't expecting that about the Wood!! O_o"
May 24, 2015 – Finished Reading