Zed Whisper's Reviews > My Daylight Monsters

My Daylight Monsters by Sarah Dalton

**I received a free copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.**

This was a fantastic read; one of my favourite books this year!

Oddly enough, one of my friends was asking me about mental disorders the other day. She read an article about how some mental illnesses are more commonly known than others. My Daylight Monsters explores a variety of mental illnesses suffered by teenagers in a rehabilitation centre; from depression, anorexia and drug addiction to unexplainable mental breakdowns. Everyone committed has a story, and as the book progresses we learn about the other patients as well as Mary's personal dilemmas.

I might be morbid but I loved the mystery and thrill that accompanied this tale. The unusually frequent deaths, Mary's weird spirit-friend Johnny and the bad vibes of the psychiatric ward gave me the shivers. When Mo was telling his ghost story I was unintentionally biting my finger. I expect to have several sleepless nights, freaking out in the darkness but this story was completely worth it!

I adored the way it was written, how real the characters felt and the spine tingling feeling I got during the final few chapters. Most highly recommended!

Favourite Quotes:

Mum puts a hand on my shoulder. "You won't be in for long. Just until you're better, I promise."
"What's better?" I mumble, "How will I know?" Will someone tell me?"You'll know, sweetheart. You'll know."

Group therapy. It must be one of the most depressing, frustrating, pointless, soul-destroyingly awful things I've ever done in my entire life.

"Then tell me."
I sit up and face her. "You'll think I'm crazy."
She gives me an overdramatic shrug. "We're in a psychiatric ward, Mary. I already think you're bloody mental..."

That's the thing about hospitals, what I've always hated. We give up control of our life and hand it over to someone else. Most of the time it's a good thing. We need these people and their expertise. But what if they don't want to make us better? What then?
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Daylight Monsters.

January 26, 2015 – Started Reading