Jennifer's Reviews > The One That Got Away

The One That Got Away by Bethany Chase

bookshelves: edelweiss

4.5/5 stars

The One That Got Away is a Chick Lit/Adult contemporary romance.

The narrator is Sarina a 31 year old woman who has her own architecture business in Austin Texas. Danny is her funny/gay roommate. She is almost engaged to Noah (who is working out of town).

The premise of the story is that 7 years before she had a fling with Danny's good friend swimming star Eamon.

Now Noah is out of town and Eamon is moving back to Austin. And he wants to hire Sarina for a project.

One thing I wish the author did was tell the reader how to pronounce Eamon. I enjoy unusual names. But I strongly dislike if I am not sure how to pronounce a name. I could not figure out if it was A-mon or Ee-mon (like Easter).

I actually really enjoyed this book even more than I thought I would like it. The blurb sounded interesting. But the book had the right balance of heartbreak, sadness, and funny banter. If you enjoy Chick Lit then the book is engaging and enjoyable.

There were quite a few original aspects to the story. First Eamon was a former Olympic swimmer. I absolutely loved this. My niece is a competitive swimmer so I really enjoyed hearing all of the details that pertained to swimming.

Also Sarina was an architect. I loved this! She was so good at her job. What a fantastic occupation for a female narrator. I loved learning everything about what she did. It was fascinating.

There is one part of the book that I can't decide if I liked or not: the leaps in time. It's not uncommon for a book to go forward a few weeks, but often it is mentioned as "six weeks later". In The One That Got Away there were numerous leaps in time and the reader just had to figure it out and follow along.

I enjoyed many of the characters especially Sarina, Eamon and Danny. I know that books have to have conflict. And I respect that Danny did not pick sides (with his friendships with Eamon and Sarina). However, I think that so many of the problems in this story could have been avoided if Danny had talked to both Sarina and Eamon.

Because I tend not to read the full book description (I dislike book spoilers and find that often the book blurbs give too much detail) the book took a very unexpected turn for me. I think I was expecting the book to be a fairly light read. But there were definitely some aspects that made me cry.

The One That Got Away is a wonderful title that really gets to the point of what the book is about. I am sure that many people can relate to the idea of someone that they dated that got away. It was this intriguing concept that drew me to this book. And I must say that I was not disappointed. This book was excellent for a debut novel. I cannot say enough good things about it. Definitely a surprising and engaging novel.

Thanks to Random House Publishing Group/Ballantine books and edelweiss for allowing me to read this e-book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The One That Got Away.

January 26, 2015 – Shelved
January 26, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
January 26, 2015 – Shelved as: edelweiss
March 21, 2015 – Started Reading
March 22, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Michaela The name Eamon is very Irish and pronounced AY-mon. I believe Eamon does say in the book that the E is a problem for people when saying his name. Danny also calls him Ames, based on the phonetics of the name Eamon.
I have an unusual name myself (mi-SHAY-la), so I'm very into how names are pronounced. ;-)

You're totally right about the time jumps. There were a few times that I felt a little confused. But at least no part of the story ever seemed to drag on.

Nice review! :-)

Jennifer Yah I did think that the nickname Ames was a clue as to how to pronounce the name. But I don't remember them using that nickname right away (when I was trying to figure out how to pronounce it).And I do recall him saying that the E was a problem. But I didn't Know if that meant to just ignore the E or how that impacted the pronunciation.