Stepheny's Reviews > The Drawing of the Three

The Drawing of the Three by Stephen King

bookshelves: all-hail-the-crimson-king, badd-ass-fantasy, favorite-series, favorites, hands-down-favorites, like-a-meth-addiction, most-excellent-audio
Read 3 times. Last read January 26, 2015 to February 16, 2015.

I’ve read the Dark Tower Series several times over the years. It is a series I hold very close to my heart, one that draws me in and whispers in my ear; begs to be read again.

So, when Calamity Bev, Rootin’ Tootin’ Pistol Packin’ Delee, Jumpin’ Jeff and Straight Shootin' Susan asked me to join them along the Path of the Beam on a most noble quest to the Dark Tower I said yes without a moment’s hesitation.

The Drawing of the Three is a book that on its own is in my list of top 10 books ever written. This is one of those books that left my brains splattered on the wall behind me. I was completely blown away by this book. It is nearly impossible to put down. The writing is impeccable, it’s very fast paced and the storyline is captivating.

Roland wakes up on a beach-a beach from hell, but a beach nonetheless.

He must draw three people into his world to accompany him on his quest. Along this beach he finds 3 doors.

Behind the first door, marked “The Prisoner”, he meets my literary soulmate, Eddie Dean. Eddie has a monkey on his back and that monkey’s name is Heroine.

Door number two is marked, the Lady of Shadows and it is from that door that Roland draws Odetta Holmes/Detta Walker. She has lost her legs in a horrifying accident but that is only the tip of the iceberg as the old saying goes.

As Roland, Detta and Eddie travel up the beach in search of Door Number 3 they encounter a few obstacles. And as Eddie points out so politely to Detta, “Well,what was behind Door Number One wasn’t so hot, and what was behind Door Number Two was even worse, so now, instead of quitting like sane people, we’re going to go right on ahead and check out Door Number Three. The way things have been going, I think it’s likely to be something like Godzilla or Ghidra the Three-Headed Monster, but I’m an optimist. I’m still hoping for the stainless steel cookware."

So what does Door Number 3 bring?

The Pusher . Jack Mort. The Man in Black foretold who would be behind these doors and when he got to the third door he told Roland “Death. But not for you, Gunslinger.” Jack Mort. The pusher of objects. Will he be drawn into this world as Eddie and Odetta/Detta were?

Will Roland get his Keflex in time?

Will the lobstrosities ever satisfy their hunger?

All these questions will be answered.

The Drawing of the Three will not disappoint you. I personally guarantee your satisfaction.

Ps. If you click the names of posse you'll get to read their most excellent reviews!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Drawing of the Three.

Quotes Stepheny Liked

Stephen King
“Control the things you can control, maggot. Let everything else take a flying fuck at you and if you must go down, go down with your guns blazing.”

Stephen King
“What we like to think of ourselves and what we really are rarely have much in common....”

Stephen King
“For every mother who ever cursed God for her child dead in the road, for every father who ever cursed the man who sent him away from the factory with no job, for every child who was ever born to pain and asked why, this is the answer. Our lives are like these things I build. Sometimes they fall down for a reason, sometimes they fall down for no reason at all.”

Stephen King
“Might as well try to drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover.”

Stephen King
“Roland could not understand why anyone would want cocaine or any other illegal drug, for that matter, in a world where such a powerful one as sugar was so plentiful and cheap.”

Stephen King
“We are going to fight. We are going to be hurt. And in the end, we will stand.”

Stephen King
“Did-a-chick? Dum-a-chum? Dad-a-cham? Ded-a-chek?”
Stephen King, The Drawing of the Three

Finished Reading (Other Paperback Edition)
December 8, 2011 – Shelved (Other Paperback Edition)
February 8, 2013 – Shelved as: favorites (Other Paperback Edition)
February 21, 2014 – Shelved as: all-hail-the-cri... (Other Paperback Edition)
February 21, 2014 – Shelved as: badd-ass-fantasy (Other Paperback Edition)
February 21, 2014 – Shelved as: dystopians (Other Paperback Edition)
February 21, 2014 – Shelved as: favorite-series (Other Paperback Edition)
February 21, 2014 – Shelved as: hands-down-favor... (Other Paperback Edition)
February 21, 2014 – Shelved as: like-a-meth-addi... (Other Paperback Edition)
January 26, 2015 – Started Reading
January 26, 2015 – Shelved
January 26, 2015 –
0.0% "The posse's all back together now! Most amazing buddy read with Pistol Packin' Delee, Calamity Bev and of course Jumpin' Jeff!"
January 26, 2015 –
page 39
9.56% "Did-a-chick? Dad-a-chum?"
January 27, 2015 –
page 63
15.44% "Ah, yes. Advice from the Great Sage and Eminent Junkie."
January 29, 2015 –
page 87
21.32% "Gods.\n \n I love Eddie Dean. I swear, every time I pick these books back up my love for him gets stronger and stronger. He is my literary soul mate."
January 30, 2015 –
page 107
26.23% ""Why do you keep looking back there?" The guy in charge had asked. "From time to time I need an antidote" Eddie said. "From what?" "Your face" Ha!"
February 7, 2015 –
page 140
34.31% "The lobstrosities are happy this evening."
February 8, 2015 –
page 194
47.55% "Detta Walker. Odetta Holmes. What's behind door number 2?"
February 9, 2015 –
page 214
February 10, 2015 –
page 240
58.82% "If you have given up your heart for the Tower, Roland, you have already lost. A heartless creature is a loveless creature, and a loveless creature is a beast."
February 11, 2015 –
page 265
64.95% "Well,what was behind Door Number One wasn’t so hot, and what was behind Door Number Two was even worse, so now, instead of quitting like sane people, we’re going to go right on ahead and check out Door Number Three. The way things have been going, I think it’s likely to be something like Godzilla or Ghidra the Three-Headed Monster, but I’m an optimist. I’m still hoping for the stainless steel cookware."
page 281
68.87% "re-shuffle"
page 304
74.51% " Might as well try to drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover. One of my all time favorite quotes. <3"
page 304
74.51% ""What big eyes you have, grandma" Eddie said , not moving. "What in hell's name are you talking about?" Omg. Roland and Eddie's banter amuses me more every time I read this book."
February 13, 2015 –
page 315
77.21% "The Pusher."
February 16, 2015 –
page 358
87.75% "This is what romance gets you-a noose around your neck and a crazy woman with two guns somewhere behind you. Ain't that the truth."
February 16, 2015 – Finished Reading
February 17, 2015 – Shelved as: all-hail-the-crimson-king
February 17, 2015 – Shelved as: badd-ass-fantasy
February 17, 2015 – Shelved as: favorite-series
February 17, 2015 – Shelved as: favorites
February 17, 2015 – Shelved as: hands-down-favorites
February 17, 2015 – Shelved as: like-a-meth-addiction
February 17, 2015 – Shelved as: most-excellent-audio
April 3, 2019 – Started Reading (Audible Audio Edition)
April 3, 2019 – Shelved (Audible Audio Edition)
April 3, 2019 – Shelved as: badd-ass-fan... (Audible Audio Edition)
April 3, 2019 – Shelved as: all-hail-the... (Audible Audio Edition)
April 3, 2019 – Shelved as: favorite-series (Audible Audio Edition)
April 3, 2019 – Shelved as: favorites (Audible Audio Edition)
April 3, 2019 – Shelved as: hands-down-f... (Audible Audio Edition)
April 3, 2019 – Shelved as: like-a-meth-... (Audible Audio Edition)
April 3, 2019 – Shelved as: most-excelle... (Audible Audio Edition)
April 3, 2019 – Shelved as: reads-with-b... (Audible Audio Edition)
April 3, 2019 – Shelved as: rereads (Audible Audio Edition)
April 3, 2019 –
3.0% "Re-read for year 19!
Added bonus: My protégée Ginger is coming along for the ride!!"
(Audible Audio Edition)
April 8, 2019 –
48.0% (Audible Audio Edition)
April 10, 2019 –
73.0% " If we were going to rape you, you'd be a well-raped woman by now.

Beep beep, Roland!"
(Audible Audio Edition)
April 12, 2019 –
89.0% "Detta-you one crazy bitch." (Audible Audio Edition)
April 13, 2019 – Finished Reading (Audible Audio Edition)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)

Beverly Damn. I better step it up a notch. LOL.

message 2: by Delee (last edited Feb 16, 2015 03:58PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Delee Ahem- I won't say a word Beverly.

...at least not on THIS status... I am not promising that I didn't say something on another status...or two- that may or may not have mentioned something about how you should step it up. lol

Stepheny Lmao! You're ok, Bevvie!

Delee Heeeheheheeeee. :D

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* I agree, this was one of the best of the series. Enjoyed your review and, uh, tagnames :)

Stepheny Thank you, Erin! We've been having too much fun with these buddy reads. LOL

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa love this review! just one question: do you have a dark tower nickname too?

Stepheny Yep! I'm "Quick Draw Stepheny" :D

And thank you!! :D

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa ha! :D

message 10: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Like and double like - I will defo read this series at some point soon :)

Stepheny Aw! Thanks, LISAS!! LOL

Let me know when you do, Lisa and I will gladly join you... LOL I love these books alllllllllllllllllmost as much as Harry Potter. LOL I am always willing to read these again!! :D Orrrr if you're quick enough you could read the first two and get in with us for book 3! :) (I'm not sure yet when that will be but just wanted to put it out there!)

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* Yes, had a lot of fun with Grapes of wrath

Stepheny Erin ㋡ is in a reviewing slump wrote: "Yes, had a lot of fun with Grapes of wrath"

It was a lot of fun! :D

message 14: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul Great review:) nice to see someone enjoy DT as much as me. I know this is probably literary heresy but I enjoy Kings dark tower much more than tolkiens LOTR

Stepheny Not heresy in my opinion! I liked the second book of LOTR and the Hobbit other than that it's days of my life I want back! Lol

Stepheny And thank you, Paul!! :D

message 17: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

message 18: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

message 19: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Delee When do we read the next one!! Huh huh huh???? LOL

LOVE your review by the way! :D

Stepheny Let me catch up on some other books and give Jeff & Bev time to finish this one lol

message 22: by Delee (last edited Feb 17, 2015 03:30PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Delee I was kidding...I need some time too.

I was just being...welllll...yoooooooooou- for a minute. ;)

Stepheny Lol well ya never knowwwww! lol

✨Susan✨ I love the pictures. Awesome.

Stepheny Susan wrote: "I love the pictures. Awesome."

Aw, thank you, Susan! :) I don't normally do pictures but this one needed them. All but one are included in the illustrated version of these books!

✨Susan✨ These are wonderful for us Audible Brats.

Stepheny I like to picture Aaron Paul as Eddie Dean. <3 So much love.

Delee Stepheny wrote: "I like to picture Aaron Paul as Eddie Dean. <3 So much love."

Eddie in my head was like a young Ewan McGregor.

Stepheny Hmmm interesting. I think he's too pretty though. Personally, I picture someone a little rough around the edges that gets more attractive the more you get to know him. Not just a dirtied up pretty boy. LOL If that makes sense....

I fell in love with Eddie over time, after a few readings. I didn't love him my first couple go-rounds.

Delee I pictured him as a pretty boy- that toughened up after..lol

It's funny how people see things so differently. :D

Stepheny Haha! It IS funny! Usually it's Lisa E and I that do this. Her and I will be on completely different planets when it comes to certain characters or storylines.

See, when we meet Eddie he's a kid and a junky. That doesn't bring any flattering images to mind. NOW, a junky who gets off the juice and becomes rugged and tough and witty and charming and gets all cleaned up? THAT brings to mind a prettier boy. LOL

Jeff I closed my eyes for the second half of your terrific review. No spoilers.

Delee ...plus if you saw Ewan in Trainspotting....he wasn't soooooo pretty...lol

Stepheny Jeff wrote: "I closed my eyes for the second half of your terrific review. No spoilers."

AW, thanks Jeff!! :D I try my hardest not to spoil. PLUS, the details I DID give are so miniscule in the grand scheme of things that I think even if at first you thought they might be spoilers you would see they really aren't. LOL

message 35: by Stepheny (last edited Feb 19, 2015 08:48AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stepheny Delee wrote: "...plus if you saw Ewan in Trainspotting....he wasn't soooooo pretty...lol"

OMG THAT WAS HIM?! I looooooooooooooooooooove Trainspotting!!

HOW did I not know this?!!

message 36: by Delee (last edited Feb 19, 2015 08:53AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Delee I don't know!! Now do you see how I thought of him as Eddie?

Have you nooooooooo faith in my imagination? lol

Stepheny I do! I Do! lol

But I still like Aaron Paul because of Breaking Bad. I fell in love with him like I did Eddie. Over time.

Beverly I still laugh every time I see Calamity Bev, because it's so fitting, and wasn't even made that way on purpose.

Stepheny LMAO! I know!!

✨Susan✨ Hey Dark Tower Posse, Is there going to be a buddy read for The Waste Lands?

Stepheny Susan wrote: "Hey Dark Tower Posse, Is there going to be a buddy read for The Waste Lands?"

Yes, ma'am! Towards the end of March we'll be saddling back up! :D

Jeff You need to untie me first, graymeat.

Stepheny Jeff wrote: "You need to untie me first, graymeat."

Well I would! But ye ain't even wrote yer review yet! An' ye hid that tater salad! You jes tell me where that tater salad is an' I'll be happy t'untie ya!

Jeff It's a comin'. Soon. And I et the tater salad.

Stepheny Jeff wrote: "It's a comin'. Soon. And I et the tater salad."

Why you dirty stinki' fool! I outta grab Ma's fryin' pan and teach you a lesson! I was goan' share my Cracker Jack with ye! But not now! No sir!

Jeff 's okay. I already took the prize.

Stepheny Jeff wrote: "'s okay. I already took the prize."

*grabs frying pan outta Ma's hand*

You jes get back here, Jeff! I'm goan' knock some sense into ye!

Beverly You guys are killing me. I'm reading this on my lunch break, and I'm laughing like an idiot.

Stepheny Beverly wrote: "You guys are killing me. I'm reading this on my lunch break, and I'm laughing like an idiot."

Jeff and I always have fun mixing our buddy read lingoes! LOL

Jeff Once we get more book readin' un'ner our belts, soon people think wer plum crazy.

« previous 1