Nicole's Reviews > Preacher, Volume 1: Gone to Texas

Preacher, Volume 1 by Garth Ennis

Aug 22, 2010

bookshelves: comics, mature-violence, mature-sex-nudity, fantasy, good_vs_evil
Read in August, 2010 — I own a copy

I read my way through part of this series by Ennis years ago, but for some reason or another, I lost track of it after volume 4 (there are 9 volumes in all). But having recently started on another excellent Ennis series, The Boys, I felt compelled to pick this series up again and finally see it through to the end. I think this also may have been my first real experience with reading comics, if you can believe it.

A great story with great characters - just what I'd expect from Ennis. You have completely charismatic southern boy Jesse Custer - a man with a monstrously awful past who becomes a preacher, then becomes host for the offspring of an angel and a demon (called Genesis) which gives him the "word of god" and the power to command others, and then of course he goes looking for God (who has left Heaven and is living on earth) to make him accountable for all the horrors suffered by humanity. There's his love, Tulip - a woman who knows how to handle a gun and who will do anything for Jesse. There's also the Irish vampire, Cassidy, who is first a good friend and then a foe to both Jess and Tulip (but really a foe due to his own poor character and weak spirit and less because of malevolent intent - I think). There are also a host of other characters and situations. Like the secret organization known as The Grail that is planning to create an armageddon on earth specifically for the purpose of then delivering a new "messiah" to the masses who will control all people in the world. Of course, along the way, Jesse and his crew come in contact with a host of interesting characters. Some they genuinely like and try to help - like a young deformed boy named "Arseface" - and some that get a taste of Jesse's sense of justice (trust me, rightly so).

All in all, such a really unique and interesting story and I plowed through all books in just 2 days...just missing out on the darn final volume which I still need to buy. Glad this one is part of my home library :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Preacher, Volume 1.