Helen's Reviews > Unholy Ghosts

Unholy Ghosts by Stacia Kane

bookshelves: magic, urban-fantasy, tattoos, witches, faithful-besotted-hero
Read 2 times. Last read July 1, 2018 to July 3, 2018.

A dark and gothic take on urban fantasy.

Unholy Ghosts stands out for me as being one of the better books in the urban fantasy genre. It's much darker than most and main character Chess has issues - she's not perfect at all, not even in the "thinks she's not but actually is" sort of way.

Chess is a troubled individual who works for the church exorcising ghosts with magic. She's also a drug addict who finds herself in debt to her local drug dealer, Bump. He calls her in for a favour and Chess finds herself in a whole lot of a mess, having to deal with black magic and human sacrifice while trying to hide her involvement from the church to protect her job.

I know I'm emotionally invested in the story because I get very angry at Chess for some of the bad decisions she makes. I just so badly want her to have a bit more self-respect and look after herself better.

But this is a story that is dark, the ghosts are scary and dangerous and the characters are not heroes.

Potential love interest Terrible is 6 foot plus, described as being not very attractive and a bit rough and is Bump's main enforcer, doing all the risky dirty work. But his intelligence and kindness balance out his rough edges to make him super interesting and actually really attractive for me. I was rooting for Chess to notice just how lovely he is and how he seems to have a thing for her.

The world building is done in a way that feels unobtrusive but I can still easily imagine myself there. I love when the authors throw in references to the music the characters are listening to, it adds a lot to my mental picture of the world. This is a book that would lend itself to some awesome soundtracks!

So, I thought this was fun, dark, different and I'm left desperate to know what happens next with Chess and Terrible.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unholy Ghosts.

January 26, 2015 – Started Reading