✌ Ashley ☠'s Reviews > Whispers in the Dark

Whispers in the Dark by Chase J. Jackson

did not like it
bookshelves: stand-alone, mystery, supernatural-paranormal, ya, netgalley

~ARC from Netgalley
So this review is actually going to be more like a list of everything that's wrong with this book.
First, these "adult" characters act more like teens than the teens do. I get that Adrian is a big boy and wants to go out drinking with his friends, but he just doesn't talk like an adult, even in school. I mean, an English teacher at a private school, where the parents pay five digit tuition, is discussing the themes in freaking Hunger Games? Don't get me wrong. It's a good book, but not even intercity schools use it for educational purposes. And the way he keeps saying y'all. What English teacher does that?
I felt like all the students were stereotyped. They were either dumb jocks, class clowns, wannabe actresses who were too vapid to function, or Goth. Were there no students with any depth?
And the plot. Good grief. Nothing happened in the first 75 pages, which is bad when that's half the book. There wasn't much climax. First, I thought there was going to be some drama about Adrian harassing Dorian, but that puttered out quickly. It could have been easily resolved with the security tapes anyway, but it didn't even make it that far.
Then the end was ridiculous. Okay, I can buy that Isabelle is Adrian's daughter and she wants revenge. I can even buy that she is a ghost. But she goes from wanting him dead to, Awe gosh dad, you weren't there for me but make it up to Robin, okay? Because what? He said, sorry, after she was already dead? Whatever. Then to make it up to Robin, he gets her shipped to a psych ward? Hello. She isn't crazy. She sees ghosts. They can't help her there! If anything, it would just make things worse.
And that whole bit about the other long dead students haunting the halls of the school because they could never get in while they were alive. Please. I have never met a student who would spend their after life in a school, no matter how prestigious.
One miserable star.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Whispers in the Dark.

January 25, 2015 – Shelved