Tonya Breck's Reviews > Shakespeare's Landlord

Shakespeare's Landlord by Charlaine Harris

Aug 22, 2010

bookshelves: fiction, mystery
Recommended for: fans of mysteries and strong female main characters.

This book was recommended to me by a friend and I'm truly glad I read it. The main character is a strong woman who, while she has been shaped a lot by her past, is not broken by it and has found a way to cope. I really appreciated how it showed, not only told, how Lily kept people at a distance and was distrustful of the world around her. As the book progressed, I found it easier and easier to connect with Lily as she became slightly more open and started to deliberately interact more with the people around her.

One thing that struck me odd when I first read the description of the book was Lily's job. I didn't know how Harris would write her as a maid (and so much more) and not let that part of the story just fade away into the background until you began to wonder if she ever actually went to work. I've seen this happen with a lot of books. However, I was impressed with how we're not only shown Lily keeping up with her job, but how it really helps move the story along.

Another thing that I enjoyed about this book was that clues were given to who committed the murder in a way that the reader could pick up on them and possibly figure it out before Lily without making her look like an idiot. Also, I really liked a lot of the other characters in the book and I really cannot wait to start the next one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shakespeare's Landlord.