Nafiza's Reviews > Wings

Wings by Aprilynne Pike

Aug 21, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: read-2010

So I was hesitant as hell to begin to reading this since people compared it to Twilight and we all know how much we love the sparklies. But I saw it at the library and there was no way I could just stop myself from reaching out and grabbing it in my grubby hands.

To being with, Ms. Pike, as I’m sure lots of other people have said so, brings something fresh, something new to the faerie genre. I applaud her creativity and ingenuity. I won’t give away what it is because I don’t want to spoil you that much. Moving on from the laudable bits (okay fine, I concede, the plot was paced well, the book did not have any jarring narrative gaps, see I can be nice!), shall we move on to the bits that I had a wee problem with? Okay, you don’t have much of a choice since I”m writing this thing but anyway.

If you write, you will understand how important (and how difficult) it is to create characters who are real and resonate. Who have depth and complexity. Who may have serendipity but will have that cache of humanity because that is what will allow your readers to relate with them. I’m not saying that Laurel is not rela-okay fine, I don’t see how I can relate much to someone who only eats leaves and fruits (barely at that). What I mean to say that all of Ms. Pike’s characters are somewhat one dimensional. They lack depth but since this is a debut novel, I’m inclined to be more forgiving. The plot is sort of typical and apart from the innovation shown in approach to mythology, there is nothing special about it. The chemistry between the male and female characters is somewhat contrived or at least I feel that Laurel ended up choosing the wrong guy. It seemed like a safe decision and not one I appreciated. Also, I needed something more that the book just failed to deliver.

However, as I said before, it is a debut novel, the first in a series, and so I will read the second one to see if it has gotten better. The series has a lot of potential if the author can deliver.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wings.

Comments (showing 1-8)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 8: by Bethany (new) - added it

Bethany I started the sequel from the library not knowing it was a sequel and got about halfway through when I finally realized it. It was good and made me want to start with Wings but I got sidetracked by a load of books I got in the mail! Lol

Nafiza Aw. I'm hoping the sequel is better because the first one is very simply written. Do you have a book blog?

message 6: by Pinky (new) - added it

Pinky Cat I really wanted to read your review but it's so long , i will take the book and read it better ! i hope everybody starts writing short useful reviews ! it's like your writing half of the story so it's better if i go and pick the book and try it !

Nafiza The book is several words longer so have fun with it. If you don't have the patience to read my review, by all means don't. I don't think I'm losing anything with your refusal to read it. :)

message 4: by Pinky (new) - added it

Pinky Cat Nafiza wrote: "The book is several words longer so have fun with it. If you don't have the patience to read my review, by all means don't. I don't think I'm losing anything with your refusal to read it. :)"

All i'm saying is that i hope you and everybody starts writing short reviews so it will be easy to know if the book is nice or not :) i'm not expecting you to change how you write , i just hope that everybody stops writing a lotttttttt long stuff that says everything about the book, so what is the point to go read the book !???? when you know all about it ?

Nafiza Short version: I did not care for

Nafiza The book. It was... Not to my liking.

message 1: by Pinky (new) - added it

Pinky Cat Nafiza wrote: "The book. It was... Not to my liking."

Thanks for telling me how you felt about the book in short sentence i appreciate it :)