All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Blood Spells

Aug 21, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: reviewed-by-abigail

Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

Mythology junkies like me are in for a sweet treat with BLOOD SPELLS the latest book in the Final Prophesy series about the Nightkeepers, a group of warrior mages whose duty it is to keep demons trapped in the underworld, because the entire series is based on the myths of the Mayan Empire, specifically the 2012 Doomsday prophesy. Anderson shows off a skillful understanding of Mayan lore and weaves a very complex world together in her action packed paranormal romance.

The larger story deals with the Nightkeepers rush to stop an Aztec demon from breaking out of his prison and destroying all life on earth. The more intimate story involves Patience and Brandt’s journey to revive a love they’ve long since lost. Many of the scenes between them had a Time Traveler's Wife quality to them as they magically revisited moments from their lives including the one night neither of them can remember: the night they met.

Although each book focuses on a new couple, long time fans of the series will have an edge on us newbies as there is a lot of information to absorb in a very short amount of time. Extensive character histories, intricate magic systems, and a complex mythology based on a real historical culture. There is a glossary in the back that was extremely helpful, but even being somewhat familiar with Mayan mythology, I found it challenging to keep up.

If you’re looking for an elaborate world system based on the bloody but fascinating Mayan mythology (with a demonic twist), an epic second chance romance, with plenty of supporting characters, then BLOOD SPELLS will be like Christmas coming early. I’m intrigued enough that I’ll be starting back with the first Final Prophecy book, NIGHTKEEPERS, while waiting for STORMKISSED in June 2011.

Sexual Content: Several graphic sex scenes
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Spells.