Sandy Nawrot's Reviews > A Man Called Ove

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman

Jan 24, 2015

bookshelves: audio

This was a charming little story that was a nice combination of humor and the poignancy of growing old. From the perspective of those who know him, Ove is an inflexible, grumpy old man, enforcing the rules of his neighborhood to the last letter. But throughout the book, we find out why he is the way he is, and how he lost his wife. And even though he has decided he is lonely and wants to end his life, his rag-tag, chaotic, well-meaning neighbors refused to be ignored. It just reinforces the idea that you never know what someone's story is until you walk a mile in his shoes. It's a fairly predictable story, but it is heartwarming and you wouldn't have it any other way.

There were hundreds of similes used, however, and is why I couldn't rate the book five stars. There were so many it started to drive me mad, even though they were sometimes funny.

The audio production was extremely enjoyable, narrated by George Newbern. I don't remember ever hearing him before, but he was the perfect voice for Ove, with his grumpy growl.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Man Called Ove.

January 24, 2015 – Started Reading