Cornelia's Reviews > Beyond Fundamentalism: Confronting Religious Extremism in the Age of Globalization

Beyond Fundamentalism by Reza Aslan

Jan 24, 2015

bookshelves: 2015, diverse-books, nonfic

I'm not entirely sure how to approach my review of this book. I read it for a variety of reasons (in no particular order): 1. My commitment to reading diverse books (by diverse authors, from diverse backgrounds, about diverse topics) in 2015. 2. My interest in world religions, religious (or religiously inspired) movements and how they shape lives/politics/perceptions/etc. 3. My admiration for Reza Aslan for his responses to this particular string of Faux News idiocy. 4. The books's relevance to current events.

The writing was eloquent, readable, extremely engaging and captivating. The topic was fascinating and the treatment of it illuminating (though I guess I can't speak to its accuracy, having not read much else on the matter, I can say it put forth different theories that we don't often hear from the media and media-ready pundits). The perspective was novel, which is part of why I wanted to read it. Also new to me was a lot of the complex and difficult Middle Eastern history recounted and explained in the book. The book stirred many emotions and left me ruminating on it even when I wasn't reading it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beyond Fundamentalism.

Started Reading