Judy's Reviews > How to Knit a Love Song

Aug 21, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: 2010
Read from August 21 to 22, 2010

** spoiler alert ** An interesting enough story (though the characters weren't as well-developed as I would have liked), but the poor editing is what made me give it only 2 stars.

**** possible spoilers ****

Inconsistencies in stories drive me crazy and once I see one or two I can't help but notice them throughout the rest of the book. I don't blame the author because editors are supposed to catch those inconsistencies and mistakes.

Example 1: Clara, Abigail's dog, was with Abigail in town when Samuel was talking to her in the alley, but then there's no mention of her after that. Was she with Abigail in the truck as she drove back to the ranch? If so, what happened to Clara when the cliff fell, taking the truck with it? If not, what did Abigail do with her? What happened to Clara?

Example 2: The night that an ewe died and Cade saved her lamb from dying, Cade and Abigail were together in the parlor and he accused her of setting his shed on fire. They fought and Abigail left. Next scene is from Abigail's POV: she's driving to town and thinking about how she hadn't seen Cade for a few days (since the night the sheep died). Next from Cade's POV: he's watching Abigail drive off to town that same day, but he's talking to Tom about the sheep that died just the night before.

If there were just one or two of these inconsistencies, I could have handled it. But the book was full of them. I wish I could have turned off my inner editor and just enjoyed the story for what it was, but I couldn't. If Ms. Herron writes another book, I hope she can find another editor - one that will do her work justice.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Knit a Love Song.