Aj the Ravenous Reader's Reviews > The Recession Groom

The Recession Groom by Vani

Jan 24, 2015

bookshelves: lol, physically-owned-books

Meet Pashuraman Joshi.

(I had a hard time looking for someone who looks like R-Patz. Lol.)

A 27 year old, Hindu-Brahmin, IT Professional who is very successful in his career in Canada. He also looks like Robert Pattinson or R-Patz as his Aunt Parvati puts it. This makes him therefore one of the most eligible bachelors not only in his hometown Chardigarh but in Canada and the U.S. as well and it seems everyone around him is concerned about only one thing- to get him married. Everything in his life is just how Pashuraman wants it to be until Jennifer (his Canadian colleague) happened, until his Aunt Parvati interfered and until recession took place and our lead character sees his life go downhill. How he will be able to put the pieces of his life back to place, read the book to find out.^^

This is a very interesting and realistic story written in a very intelligent and witty manner. The genuineness of the characters gripped me from start till end. The constant allusions to Hollywood personalities kept me entertained and oh! I just have to mention that Pashuraman's granny reads Sidney Sheldon. Lol!^^

The events are fast paced and even though the main character went through almost endless troubles, Aunt Parvati was always there for comic relief. I just have this feeling that it would have been so much better if the story was told in the first person POV. That would have made it so much more lifelike and more colorful. But for a debut novel, this is already impressively good.

What I liked most about the story is how effectively Ms.Vani portrayed her characters. They are very realistically depicted as if they are right there in front of you.

Reading this book also gave me a deeper look into the rich culture of the Indian people (especially on marriage) and I find myself relating to them very easily being Asian myself. I found similarities of both our cultures and our societies and that's another reason I enjoyed reading this so much. This following detail for instance is very much the same in our country, I found myself snorting in laughter reading this.

"Remember, we Indians don't understand the concept of traffic lights. If everyone is moving, keep trailing behind them, irrespective of the colour of the light."

This is highly recommendable for anyone looking for a light, smart and informative reality fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Recession Groom.

January 24, 2015 – Shelved
January 24, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
March 5, 2015 – Started Reading
March 8, 2015 – Shelved as: lol
March 8, 2015 – Finished Reading
April 12, 2016 – Shelved as: physically-owned-books

Tanya (Girl Plus Books) What an interesting read, Aj. And a wonderful review! xx

Alice Great review, Aj!! And lol, the quote about the traffic lights!! Haha. I'm glad you enjoyed it ^^

Aj the Ravenous Reader Tanya wrote: "What an interesting read, Aj. And a wonderful review! xx"

This is very interesting indeed, Tanya. I haven't read anything quite like it. Thank you so much. <3

Aj the Ravenous Reader Alice wrote: "Great review, Aj!! And lol, the quote about the traffic lights!! Haha. I'm glad you enjoyed it ^^"

Aw! Thank you so much, Alice. Now you get a glimpse of our culture. Lol.^^

message 5: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel Maniacup Another fantastic review Aj! You got me again here so it's on my TBR already! ;-)

message 6: by Vani (new)

Vani Thank you so much, AJ. You made my day. xx

Aditi Wonderful review and very nicely put about the comparison between the two cultures, I'm glad that you liked our culture of marriage! Aunt Parvati is also my favorite character in the book and I so want a grandmother like Pashuraman!

message 8: by Arch (new)

Arch Bala Beautiful review Aj!! ^_^
And 5stars no less. Hmm.

Aj the Ravenous Reader Rachel wrote: "Another fantastic review Aj! You got me again here so it's on my TBR already! ;-)"

Yay! Thank you, my beautiful sister ^^

Aj the Ravenous Reader Vani wrote: "Thank you so much, AJ. You made my day. xx"

Aw! It was a pleasure reading and reviewing your book, Vani. Thank you. ♥♥♥

Aj the Ravenous Reader Aditi wrote: "Wonderful review and very nicely put about the comparison between the two cultures, I'm glad that you liked our culture of marriage! Aunt Parvati is also my favorite character in the book and I so ..."

Thank you, Aditi. I couldn't help compare. There are just so many similarities except maybe on marriage. Yours I think is a lot more conservative and traditional and i'm with you about Aunt Parvati, such a consistent character. Lol. And Nani is just the best granny.

Aj the Ravenous Reader Arch wrote: "Beautiful review Aj!! ^_^
And 5stars no less. Hmm."

Ahahahaha...naloka ako sa comment mo Arch. Stereotyping ka ah. Pero napapasyaw nga din ako. Lol. Thank you so much. ♥♥♥

message 13: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel Maniacup Arch wrote: "Beautiful review Aj!! ^_^

Arch wrote: "Beautiful review Aj!! ^_^
And 5stars no less. Hmm." dito sa comment

Dami tawa ko dito sa comment mo Arch! Hahahaha!

message 14: by Arch (new)

Arch Bala Aj the Ravenous Reader wrote: "Arch wrote: "Beautiful review Aj!! ^_^

Haha ^_^
Then I started thinking of Robert sumasayaw ng jai ho! Oh shit I'm so evil!!!!!!!! ^________o lolololos

no offense meant sa mga Indian friends ko *grins*

message 15: by Arch (new)

Arch Bala Rachel wrote: "Arch wrote: "Beautiful review Aj!! ^_^

Arch wrote: "Beautiful review Aj!! ^_^
And 5stars no less. Hmm." dito sa comment

D..."

Echos ko lang te. Haha peace out same ibang readers ^_^
*blushing profusely * daw.haha ^_^

message 16: by Jilly (new)

Jilly Huh? Were there words after that gif of the beautiful man? ;) Great review, AJ. Once I stopped staring at the photo, I really enjoyed it. It sounds like a fun read.

message 17: by Kathe (new)

Kathe L Great review, Aj! A 5 star rating definitely made me excited for this one! In Brazil, they made kind of a tv show about India once and I completely LOVED to learn about their culture! Definitely one I'll give a try :)

Aj the Ravenous Reader Jilly wrote: "Huh? Were there words after that gif of the beautiful man? ;) Great review, AJ. Once I stopped staring at the photo, I really enjoyed it. It sounds like a fun read."

Ah, exactly the effect of that beautiful man to me, Jilly. I'm surprised I was able to put words after that pic. Lol.^^ It was a fun read, indeed.^^

message 19: by Aj the Ravenous Reader (last edited Mar 10, 2015 06:25PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aj the Ravenous Reader Kathe wrote: "Great review, Aj! A 5 star rating definitely made me excited for this one! In Brazil, they made kind of a tv show about India once and I completely LOVED to learn about their culture! Definitely on..."

Thank you so much, Kathe. That's great. Read this book and learn more about their culture.^^ Have you seen thisIndian movie, "Three Idiots"? It's one of the best movies I have ever seen my entire life!^^

message 20: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Great review! I love a read with witty personalities!

Aj the Ravenous Reader Rebecca wrote: "Great review! I love a read with witty personalities!"

Thank you very much, Rebecca. Yes, me too. Most characters here have witty personalities especially the aunt.^^

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Ooh...such an enticing review, what with that hottie on top. Lol. ;)

message 23: by Aj the Ravenous Reader (last edited Mar 09, 2015 09:32PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aj the Ravenous Reader Arch wrote: "Haha ^_^
I felt bad after posting it pero medjo natawa kasi ako as rpatz reference sa mismong book >_@"

Hehehe...that's okay. Our very forgiving naman mga friends natin from India. Hahaha...yeah, natawa din ako and from the Aunt pa yung R-Patz tas si Lola, nagbabasa Sidney Sheldon. Si Ate, in love kay Leo as in Leo Di Cap and if this became a movie, malamang may sayaw nga talaga. Lol.^^

Aj the Ravenous Reader Sarah wrote: "Ooh...such an enticing review, what with that hottie on top. Lol. ;)"

Lol. Yeah, he really is a hottie, Sarah. Thank you. <3

message 25: by Kathe (new)

Kathe L Noooo, but I'll definitely check it out :)

Aj the Ravenous Reader Kathe wrote: "Noooo, but I'll definitely check it out :)"

Yes, please do!^^