Heidi The Reader's Reviews > 10% Happier: How I Tamed the Voice in My Head, Reduced Stress Without Losing My Edge, and Found Self-Help That Actually Works

10% Happier by Dan   Harris

bookshelves: meditation, memoirs, non-fiction

Dan Harris had problems, like all of us, but unlike all of us, he was beginning to experience some of the messier symptoms of his dysfunctional inner world in front of millions of people.

He sought help and jumped into the meditation world with both feet. I think its why most people find their way into spiritual practices- something isn't working quite right in their life and they need to change from the inside out. So, they look for a process of inner change and run smack into meditation.

However, Dan isn't drinking the kool-aid of the new age movement. He questions every practice for its practical benefits and searches for scientific experimentation to back up those benefits.

In essence, he brings the investigative skills that he applies to his job as a news anchor to the practice of meditation and it's a delight to read.

I loved this. Dan had the same initial reaction to Eckhart Tolle and Deepak Chopra that I did. One of them seems too mellow to be real and the other seems to market himself too well to be that spiritual.

Over time, I've come to love both of those authors/gurus for their wisdom, but they are both just out of this world. Harris isn't afraid to point that out.

In conclusion, I'd recommend 10% Happier to anyone who wants to become 10% happier- isn't that all of us?

Also, anyone who has read Eckhart Tolle or Deepak Chopra may also enjoy this, if only for the surprisingly accurate descriptions of their foibles. Anyone who wants to try meditation but feels like they don't have time, couldn't do it if they tried, or doesn't know where to start may find some inspiration from this book.

And, finally, anyone who is fed up with the hippie-dippie-trippie feeling that most spiritual memoirs give them, will find a kindred soul in Dan Harris.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 10% Happier.

Finished Reading
January 23, 2015 – Shelved
January 23, 2015 – Shelved as: meditation
January 23, 2015 – Shelved as: memoirs
January 23, 2015 – Shelved as: non-fiction

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin You sold me on this book! Nothing ever seems to work and maybe this one could help! Great review 😊

Heidi The Reader Thanks Melissa :)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin You're welcome 😊

Rose You sold me on this book as well. It was a fantastic read! Thank you!

Heidi The Reader Thanks, Rose :) So glad you enjoyed it!