Silver James's Reviews > Obsession in Death

Obsession in Death by J.D. Robb

bookshelves: 2017-books-read, audio-books, auto-buy-series, keeper, reread, scifi, suspense, 2015-books-read, 2020-books-read, favorite-authors, romance
Read 3 times. Last read October 13, 2020 to October 15, 2020.

Obsession in Death (In Death, #40) by J.D. Robb Everything remains the same, as stated below. I'm always thrilled when I can't figure out the perp's idea before Eve does, because I usually do. I didn't know on this one until Eve figured it out. And that last action scene is still nail-biting! But still only 4.75 stars for...reasons.

2017 review: This is the first time I've listened to the audio version. Susan Erickson is a masterful narrator! This is a tough book. Eve's "stalker" is creepy and psychotic and JD/Nora keeps the reader guessing on identity. I will up my score to 4.75 on this reread/listen. I can't go the full 5 for...reasons. (As discussed in my initial review below.)

[Original review] This book gets 4.5 stars from me. I loved it. But I'm petty so I'm taking off half a star, reason to follow. First though, this was a hellagood book. An obsessive "fan" murdering so Eve could have justice set just the right tone for a top-notch psychological drama with a lot of action thrown in. Good police work. Luck. And a final, heart-stopping showdown that left this reader as breathless as the characters. There could have been more Eve and Roarke time, but considering the storyline, I'm okay with the division of attention. No spoilers as to why. But here's my bone to pick and why I took off a half star. And yes, it's petty but...

Throughout this series, Roarke has kept a ratty cloth-covered grey button in his pocket. Lost from the awful suit coat Eve was wearing the first time he laid eyes on her in NAKED IN DEATH, that button has been his touchstone with Eve, the talisman that reminds him of their love no matter how at odds they might be. In FESTIVE IN DEATH, the book just previous to OBSESSION, Eve gave him a second talisman--a small lapel pin in the shape of white petunias, her wedding flowers. The pin is mentioned, in passing, as Roarke turns his attention from a night out to Eve's latest case, but it doesn't yet carry the impact of the button. In each book in this series, I marked the passages where Roarke reached into his pocket to finger the button. This action proclaims so much about his relationship with Eve and it became familiar and wonderful and necessary to me, in that I eagerly awaited the moment in each story.

I'm terribly disappointed that there is no mention of the button in this book. None. And considering the climax, I can't believe neither talisman made an appearance. And yes, that disappointment made me mark down the "final score." It's probably petty, but that's the way it is. As much as I loved this book, that omission keeps it from being a top five for me.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Obsession in Death.

January 23, 2015 – Shelved
January 23, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
February 25, 2015 – Started Reading (Kindle Edition)
February 26, 2015 – Finished Reading (Kindle Edition)
March 1, 2015 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
March 3, 2015 – Shelved as: 2015-books-read (Kindle Edition)
March 3, 2015 – Shelved as: keeper (Kindle Edition)
April 28, 2017 – Started Reading