Lauren Chon's Reviews > The Duchess Quest

The Duchess Quest by C.K. Brooke

Jan 23, 2015

First of all, congratulations, C.K. Brooke on your debut!

Now onto the review...

I am the type of person who puts down a book forever and never look back if I don't like what I'm reading.
If I like it, I finish the book within 1-2 days and I will not sleep if that's what it takes to finish a book.
THIS BOOK was one of those books where I sacrificed sleep to finish, wondering how the book will end so that the second book can pick up where it left off.

It was a compelling story, full of unique names and words, interesting characters, thrilling action and romance. One unique word that stood out to me was "littemuse," pronounced like "litmus." What littemuse does is that it turns a certain color when in contact with a certain fluid. The science nerd in me caught on very quickly and thought that it was very clever how the author used that word (if you don't understand what I'm talking about, read the book, look up "litmus paper" on google, and hopefully you'll understand why I thought that was clever). There is also a pronunciation guide in the back of the book, so if you're having trouble reading a certain word, you can always look in the back like answers to an odd-numbered math problem in a textbook.

I loved how the book was formatted into parts with each "chapter" focusing on one character. A trend that I saw in other books was that if the chapter title is the name of a character, then the chapter is told in first person with the character telling the story. However, The Duchess Quest does not use first person, but third, so the author is telling the same story but focuses on the emotions and thoughts of each character. I also felt that I was watching a movie while I was reading, with each chapter being a little scene or a cut to another scene. Overall, the format of the book made it comfortable for me to keep track of where I am as I read.

There are twists in the story where I was like, "WHOA!!!!" which make COMPLETE sense later on in the story.

The book ends with closure, but it's not complete closure as there is a sequel coming out. The author ends the book in a way that you are satisfied with the ending, but are prepared for what will come in the next book.

It was such a pleasurable reading experience and I don't regret losing those hours of sleep! It was witty and made me want more!

I am looking forward to the next book with high anticipation. It's going to be epic!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Duchess Quest.

Finished Reading