Jason Kurtz's Reviews > The Magicians

The Magicians by Lev Grossman

Aug 20, 2010

bookshelves: top-picks-ya, fantasy, speculative-fiction, young-adult
Read 2 times. Last read September 27, 2010 to November 1, 2010.

I was impressed by The Magicians. One of the quotes on the inside calls it "Harry Potter for adults." I would have to say that I agree. Though the novel does deal with many YA themes, and it is understandably a cross-over novel, The Magicians surprised me like Tithe surprised me, in that an urban fantasy can be nearly as rich as the tradition fantasy, though technically Grossman cheated a little by getting his characters to travel into a fantasy world anyway.

Grossman's world is such that it has infinite possibilities, and though his Harvard vocabulary is showing, he still pulls off the college angst pretty well. It is interesting to see our "modern ideals and sensibilities" applied to the traditional fantasy world. He riffs on Rowling, Lewis, and Tolkien, while at the same time taking concepts made popular by those authors and making them his own.

Grossman will have a long legacy, and his world is dense and full of possibilities. I would definitely recommend this for advance upper YA readers and adults.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magicians.

Finished Reading