Kristin's Reviews > The Hobbit

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

bookshelves: books-i-own
Read 3 times. Last read September 1, 2018 to September 22, 2018.

2018 reread:
I still really enjoy this, and I feel like this readalong is good for me since it basically amounts to about 5 chapters a week. These stories are better for me in small doses, so I don't get burnt out. Still, it felt like it was dragging on at times...I think maybe I've just reread it too many times in too short a time? Still love the characters and sense of humor though!

Previous review:
Such a wonderful, charming story. It was a good way to ease back into the world of LOTR since I'm planning on rereading the trilogy later this year. :) I don't have much to say about this book that hasn't already been said!

P.S. Bilbo is so much more of a hero than Frodo. Honestly I think Frodo's a bit of a wimp, especially as portrayed in the films....always rolling around, clutching a wound while he makes awful noises and his eyes roll back in his head. Maybe book Frodo is better? It's been a long, long time since I read the trilogy so I can't remember! :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hobbit.

February 20, 2011 – Shelved (Other Paperback Edition)
May 7, 2011 – Shelved as: books-i-own (Other Paperback Edition)
December 3, 2012 – Started Reading (Other Paperback Edition)
December 4, 2012 –
page 78
16.22% (Other Paperback Edition)
December 6, 2012 –
page 128
26.61% (Other Paperback Edition)
December 7, 2012 –
page 185
38.46% (Other Paperback Edition)
December 7, 2012 – Finished Reading (Other Paperback Edition)
January 22, 2015 – Started Reading
January 22, 2015 – Shelved
January 22, 2015 –
0.0% "Quick reread before I finally go see the last movie (sometime next week)? Yes!"
January 29, 2015 –
page 171
46.72% "So bummed to find out that I missed my chance to see this at the local theater! Bright side: a probable March/April DVD release date and now I don't have to rush through my reread..."
February 1, 2015 – Shelved as: books-i-own
February 1, 2015 – Finished Reading
September 1, 2018 – Started Reading
September 3, 2018 –
page 0
0.0% "Rereading as part of an Instagram readalong of this and LOTR, starting in September and running through the end of the year!"
September 22, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Tayler (new)

Tayler McCrery I completely agree with your comparison of Bilbo and film Frodo. Bilbo is a fantastic character all around! I do feel like Frodo is way more heroic and likable in the books, thank goodness. In the movies, the only reason I like the Frodo/Sam scenes are because of Sam (and Gollum).

Kristin Tayler wrote: "I completely agree with your comparison of Bilbo and film Frodo. Bilbo is a fantastic character all around! I do feel like Frodo is way more heroic and likable in the books, thank goodness. In the ..."

Yes, Sam is awesome. Much more of a hero than Frodo in the films. :)