Paige Bradish's Reviews > Bit Players, Has-Been Actors and Other Posers

Bit Players, Has-Been Actors and Other Posers by S.M. Stevens

Jan 22, 2015

bookshelves: reviwed

I received Bit Players, Has-Been Actors And Other Posers by S.M. Stevens for review, and these are my honest thoughts.

I agreed to take on this trilogy for a few reasons. The main one being, for some reason I love books that take place in the high school setting. I am not sure why, I just love seeing how everything unfolds. The drama, whose friends with whom, the cliques, the bullies, etc. It all fits together to make for a great book. Also! I love reading about plays. I do not love reading plays that much but I love reading books that have characters in plays.

The first characters introduced are of course the main character Sadie who loves to be on stage, and the play we read about in this first book is her chance to finally be the lead. We also meet Alex, who is Sadie’s best friend in the beginning. The two have a pretty rough falling out mid way through the book which made for some crazy drama that sort of turned me off to both of them to be completely honest. Throughout the rest of the book, they gained my likings back through many things though so I am happy with that.

I like Alex even though he did do some things to piss me off, granted some of those things were deserved but still mean nonetheless. I love that he has basically turned into a popular, and is still trying to be best friends with Sadie despite how hard she is trying to push him and his new life away from her. We then meet the foreign exchange student Nigel. Normally everybody dies over foreign exchange students, but me on the other hand? Unless they are really nice and deserve attention I do not really care for them. Nigel proved to me yet again why I feel this way about foreign exchange students in books!

I have a love hate relationship with the suspense that occurred in the barn near the end of the book. I liked that Stevens incorporated it because the way it all happened was really cool. But at the same time I feel like Lord finally going rogue, and everything that happened was really rushed, and squeezed into one or two chapters. After the barn incident we only hear about a sentence worth of whatever happened to Lord. Which, granted is all he deserves but I would have liked to see something leading up to the mysterious texts Sadie gets, and then something more explaining what happened to Lord.

Overall, I loved the idea for the play. Twilight was such a big thing back when this book was published in 2011 so I liked that Stevens instead of deciding to write something about vampires chose to incorporate something so popular into her book extensively without having to make it a vampire book completely. I give her props and will be for sure reading the next two books in the series!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bit Players, Has-Been Actors and Other Posers.

January 22, 2015 – Shelved
January 22, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
March 28, 2015 – Started Reading
March 28, 2015 –
page 17
7.39% "I kind of like Alex. Even though he seems to be ditching Sadie. But at the same time she should understand he needs to do what he likes to do."
May 19, 2015 –
page 190
82.61% "So so glad Alex isn't the father, and WTH Mr. Lord?"
May 19, 2015 – Shelved as: reviwed