Elizabeth's Reviews > Cooking with the Seasons at Rancho La Puerta: Recipes from the World-Famous Spa

Cooking with the Seasons at Rancho La Puerta by Deborah Szekely

Aug 19, 2010

bookshelves: cookbooks, nonfiction
Recommended for: cookbook junkies

I wrote an article about the Baja-based Rancho La Puerta cooking school when it first opened three years ago. In the class we made this amazing Aztec Guacamole that I still make when I have the time (and the patience). Chef Jesus Gonzalez taught the class, and he couldn't have been nicer. One memory that will always stand out in my mind is when I asked the members of the class (all were women in their mid 40s and up) what they thought of the instructor, and woman looked at me and said in a husky voice, "All I know is I like him."

Regardless of his dashingly good-looks, I will say that every one of Jesus' recipes I've tried in the book is delicious and inspired. I also continue to make the recipes from the class--a rarity for me.

The idea of structuring the book around the seasons is useful as well. I enjoy buying produce from the farmers market and having recipes tailored to the time of year is really quite helpful.

One other note: Rancho La Puerta is a fabulous health resort/spa--although it's way, way too hot at the beginning of September. Make sure your car is in working condition and doesn't break down as you cross the border. I spent several hours in the middle of the desert waiting for a tow!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cooking with the Seasons at Rancho La Puerta.