Jasmin's Reviews > The Joy Luck Club

The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan

bookshelves: asia, five-stars, inspirational, fiction, reviewed-by-me
Recommended for: Anyone who has a mother. In short, EVERYONE :)

The Joy Luck Club is:
...to hold parties and pretend each week had become the new year. Each week we could also forget the wrongs done to us. We weren't allowed to think a bad thought. We feasted, we laughed, we played games, lost and won, we told best stories. And each week, we could hope to be lucky. That hope was our only joy. And that's how we came to call our little parties Joy Luck.

A mahjong table. Four positions to fill. The North, West, East and South. A game where the winner takes all, and the loser takes leftovers. Everyone's a winner. But there's a death, and the filling in by a daughter.

Four daughters. Four mothers. Eight lives. Eight stories to share. All connected by the Joy Luck Club.

The Joy Luck Club is a beautifully written poignant tale of Chinese women trying to fit in in America. It's highly inspirational, and I think everyone, even non-Chinese could use a little Feng Sui in their lives, in the form of The Joy Luck Club. Thus highly recommended!

The book is mostly depressing, but though this is fiction, one couldn't help but feel the women's despairs and pains. The book feels real, not just to the touch, but to the soul as well.

Heartwarming, and heart-wrenching. Bitter and sweet. The Joy Luck Club is a tale to be devoured and enjoyed by mothers and daughters. (but sons could enjoy this as well). And in the end, one could not help but be touched in the heart.

WARNING: For non-Chinese readers, who have no background with Chinese names, prepare a pen to jot notes, because a particular trouble of mine was I quite mixing the women up and couldn't tell who from who. My excuse, I am not Chinese. LOL! :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Joy Luck Club.

August 19, 2010 – Started Reading
August 19, 2010 – Shelved
August 24, 2010 – Shelved as: asia
August 24, 2010 – Shelved as: five-stars
August 24, 2010 – Shelved as: inspirational
August 24, 2010 – Shelved as: fiction
August 24, 2010 – Shelved as: reviewed-by-me
August 24, 2010 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

message 1: by Dina (new)

Dina Oh my, I cry buckets every time I watch this movie! Love it, love it, love it!

P.S.: You aren't excused, Jasmin. Chinese names are completely different one from another. ;)

Jasmin i ddnt know this has a movie.

forgive me D. I know their different, but my brain refuses to process it as different things. It only registers it as a general "Chinese name" XD

message 3: by Dina (new)

Dina Jasmin, you've got to rent the DVD! Have I told you how much I love the movie yet? LOL

Jasmin will do Dina. i think my brain works better with facial recognition. XD

message 5: by Kat Kennedy (new)

Kat Kennedy I've seen the movie (and loved it) it's good to know the book is good too!

message 6: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH The interesting thing about this book is that you could almost put any immigrant group in the place of the Chinese experience. I am a child of immigrants and a lot of the experiences were similar. Amy Tan's other books were very good.

message 7: by K.D. (new) - added it

K.D. Absolutely I loved the movie of this though its all about women. Many years ago but I still remember their faces. They are right, go and see it.
Not planning to read the book though. I think the movie is enough. Normally, I read the book if there are somethings (like seemingly nice dialogues) that I could not understand in the movie. In the case of film adaptation of this book, everything is clear including the dialogues. But of course that was I think a couple of decades ago so I don't remember anything. ha ha

Amanda I loved the book, but I have to say the movie was so beautiful that it almost eclipses the book.

Jasmin thanks everyone! I'm going to make it a goal of mine to watch the movie. It seems really really good :)

message 10: by Nissie Lambert (new)

Nissie Lambert Loved your review, Jasmin! Like Z, I've been meaning to read it, my list is just long..........

message 11: by Cynthia (last edited Jan 06, 2011 01:22PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cynthia Paschen When I read this book I had a hard time keeping track of which mother went with which daughter. In the movie, it was obvious from the beginning. The movie is a total pleasure.

Regine In my case I actually liked the movie more than the book. The book is still good, but I felt that there was more emotion in the movie. If you haven't seen it yet, please do.