**✿❀ Maki ❀✿**'s Reviews > はたらく魔王さま! [Hataraku Maou-sama!]

はたらく魔王さま! [Hataraku Maou-sama!] by Satoshi Wagahara

bookshelves: reviews, manga, read-2006-to-2015

Oh, I love the premise of this thing.

A demon lord and his commander get stuck on Earth after a failed attempt to conquer another world, and they have to play human until they find a way to gather enough magic to open a portal back home.

Their plan involves cunning, research into the history of angels and demons in Japan...and working part-time at a parody of McDonald's.

True evil knows exactly how long to heat up baby food in an industrial strength microwave.

Rather than relying on the "fish out of water" trope for the demons and the holy knight chasing them, the story focuses on the absurdity of their interactions in a modern setting. Emi, the holy knight, is still determined to finish her job and kill the two demons, even though she knows that where she is now, it's against the law. Seeing the conflict between what they know to be reality in their situation, and how the normal world perceives their actions makes for some incredibly funny moments.

Ashiya is just pure awesome. The poor guy tries so hard to keep everything running smoothly for Maou, but fails. Miserably.

My only real gripe with the story is that it seems to be setting up a love triangle between Emi, Maou, and Chi, Maou's coworker. Why does a romantic sub-plot have to be forced in? The story was interesting enough without it. Sighs.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read はたらく魔王さま! [Hataraku Maou-sama!].

January 22, 2015 – Started Reading
January 22, 2015 – Shelved
January 22, 2015 –
page 46
14.74% "Ah...a demon commander who lost his powers, and is stuck in the human world, planning to enslave humanity by moving up the corporate ladder at a McDonald's parody...excellent. This should fill the Disgaea shaped void in my life for now."
January 22, 2015 –
page 79
January 23, 2015 – Shelved as: reviews
January 23, 2015 – Shelved as: manga
January 23, 2015 – Finished Reading
December 24, 2015 – Shelved as: read-2006-to-2015

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

**✿❀  Maki ❀✿** I need to go check out the anime. I missed out on it when it aired in 2013. Most of that year was spent running to the hospital so that my pregnancy could be monitored. So I didn't have a lot of free time to keep up with things. >__>