F.J. Hansen's Reviews > Dragon Outcast

Dragon Outcast by E.E. Knight

Aug 19, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, dragons

My least favorite of the series, but still very good. I couldn't help but to sympathize with the Copper. Indeed, in the beginning, when he is exiled, I could really feel his pain. I enjoyed following in his journey and beat the odds stacked against him. I liked the relationship between the Copper and Rhea, the Human girl, even if it doesn't beat the one between Auron and Heiba in the first book.

The climax felt a little weak to me, but the Copper's speech at the end made up for it. That gave me goosebumps.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dragon Outcast.

Cole This is a good series, huh?

F.J. Hansen It is an excellent series. Probably my favorite.

Cole Favorite of all time, or favorite with dragons, or favorite fantasy?
I love this series too! What character did you feel more connected to? For me I would say they all had there redeeming qualities, but Wistala would be mine.

F.J. Hansen Favorite of all time.

Wistala is my favorite character too. She's the one that I feel most connected to.

Cole Cool, we have something else in common; if you remember I talked to you briefly about the Dragonback series. Age of Fire is not my favorite series, it is in my top 10; my favorite would be Taltos by Steven Brust. Also, I noticed that you have read some of the His Majesty's Dragon series, what a great piece! Naomi Novik really made this one a favorite of mine.

message 6: by F.J. (last edited Feb 11, 2012 11:15PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

F.J. Hansen Yeah, His Magesty's Dragon is another series that I need to get back to one of these days. I remember reading that Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings) had plans to bring those books to the screen.

Haven't heard of Taltos.

message 7: by Cole (last edited Feb 12, 2012 12:32AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cole Yes, I heard that too; I can't wait to see what he does with it. Hope that they don't butcher it! Isn't Peter Jackson working on the Hobbit right now, I am looking forward to that.
And if you are interested you should look up Vlad Taltos, although you should let me know if you do because the publishing order of the series is different from the chronological order.
Also noticed that you read Harper Hall by Ann McCaffery (still can't believed she died), how did you like those?
Wait, if Age of Fire is you favorite series, why only give it a 3 star? Just curious.

F.J. Hansen I took a look at the link you provided for Taltos, from the reviews, I gathered the series involves witchcraft. Is this true? If so, then, I wouldn't be interested.

I love Anne McCaffrey's Harper Hall trilogy. They were my first experience with Dragonriders of Pern and launched me into that series, which became my second favorite (used to be first until I discovered Age of Fire). The Harper Hall books remain among my top favorites of that series, but Dolphins of Pern is my overall favorite. (Dolphins are among my favorite real animals, dragons are my favorite fictional creatures; having both in the same book is a real delight.)

As a series, I would give Age of Fire 5 stars. To Dragon Outcast itself, I give 3 stars. I thought its climax was a bit weak compared to Books 1-5 (I haven't read the sixth yet, so I can't say).

message 9: by Cole (last edited Feb 12, 2012 03:29AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cole I see, I think I gave it a 4 star. And I have also not read the last book of the Age of Fire series yet, I have it in this stack in my room of books that I am going to read (the stack is like 30 book!).
Dolphins huh, they are interesting animals; one of my favorites as well. I gather that you like books with animals in it, or maybe companions of some kind. I like those kinds as well!
Haven't read that series by Ann McCaffery yet, will take a look into it once I finish Harper Hall.
And yes Vlad Taltos has witchcraft, that is not what is about though. Do you not like magical aspects in books then? That's okay if you are not interested, we all have different tastes.
Well let's see... a series like Age of Fire huh... Foundation: The Collegium Chronicles, Sword of Fire and Sea, Birth of the Firebringer, Joust, Through Wolf's Eyes, Song in the Silence, Lost and Found: A Novel, A Dragon's Tale Book One: The Silver Dragon, ; these are all ones that I would highly recommend to you if you are interested. I know it is a lot, I just went through some of my books and I thought these were the best ones that I thought you might like.

message 10: by Cole (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cole Oh thought of two more; A Beautiful Friendship and The Dragon Keeper.

message 11: by F.J. (new) - rated it 3 stars

F.J. Hansen I love stories about alliances/friendships between different species--alien or real animals.

A Beautiful Friendship looks really interesting. I have the Song in the Silence trilogy, though I'm still trying to get around to reading it.

message 12: by Cole (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cole That was a good book, if you ever read A Beautiful Friendship let me know!
And oh, you have; well I loved that trilogy. A Song in the Silence really spoke to me. The beginning is slow but once you get past that...wow!
Any other ones on that list that you have heard of or that you could be interested in?

message 13: by Cole (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cole What did you think of Dragonworld and Dragon Companion. Also, I noticed you read Eragon, have you read the others ones?

message 14: by F.J. (last edited Feb 13, 2012 01:49AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

F.J. Hansen I've come across Joust (didn't really catch me) and Lost and Found. Alan Dean Foster is another favorite author of mine. I've been working on his Humanx Commonwealth/Pip and Flinx series until I got sidetracked (surprise, surprise). My favorite book of his so far is Nor Crystal Tears--a brilliant first contact novel. I haven't heard of the others, though A Dragon's Tale looks interesting.

I really enjoyed Dragonworld. It was the first book I read when my interest in dragons blossomed, and I started searching my high school library for books featuring honorable dragons. Although a real dragon doesn't make an appearance until well into the last third or so, the story was really enjoyable.

Dragon Companion (and the following two books) was interesting. It gets a little silly at times, but in a fun way, and how one would expect from such a premise. My only real problem with the trilogy is that it ends with some important questions unanswered.

Yeah, I read Eragon. It was okay, but I hadn't had any real urge to go back and continue with the series.

message 15: by Cole (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cole I have read the Pip and Flinx series myself. Alan Dean Foster is a master at creating intergalactical worlds! I got the honor of asking him how he does it, at least how he created the species and all. He said that he really knows the biology of the world and thus that creates the biology and physiology of the creatures. That is what I like about his writing, the diverse kinds of beings.
And don't worry about the side tracked thing, you are no worse than myself. I currently have 8 books open right now, bad habit I know. Then some turn into ones I never finish because of it, I guess they just weren't interesting enough to call me back.
Joust took me a long time to finish, it is more about the politics of the nations and ethnic/moral problems. Which is nice but the dragons played a very minor role, which is not nice!
Dragonworld seems kind of like that, I like to see mythical creatures or something other than human to play a critical role. I have it on my list to read but no bets on whether I will get to it anytime soon.
Dragon Companion sounds like more my kind of thing, except for the humor; I am more a serious reader because I find that good humor is really hard to accomplish in a book.
I have the same opinion about Eragon, it was okay. But actually it is what got me into dragons in the first place, now I see what a poor model that was for me. Haven't finished the series yet. It's not bad and I enjoy it but the characters to me seem so 1 dimensional.
As for Dragon's Tale, that is right up your alley. One of my favorite dragons of all time! I really recommend it and not because as far as this site goes I am the only one to have rated it (hint). Hahaha
The Birth of the Firebringer and The Dragon Keeper I also guarantee you will like! I can think of you reading this and loving it!

message 16: by F.J. (new) - rated it 3 stars

F.J. Hansen Dragonworld is more about misunderstanding. It does feature other dragon-like creatures, which cause trouble for two countries, and the countries blame each other for the trouble

message 17: by Cole (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cole I see, misunderstandings are always interesting for readers!

message 18: by Cole (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cole Well don't worry the fourth one in my personal opinion is the best that have read, so you have that to look forward to.
Indeed, I was of the same opinion at first (the copper being the least of my favorites), but after rereading the series I came to think of him more highly.
Anyway, this one is more political than adventures, so maybe that was what you didn't like about it?

message 19: by F.J. (new) - rated it 3 stars

F.J. Hansen Perhaps. But, I actually enjoy political conspiracies, resistant movements and that sort of thing, and that was one thing that I liked about the ending. Babylon 5, after all, is my second favorite science fiction TV series, and that series deals a lot with that.

I've already read the series up to Book 5, and I've found myself feeling the same way about the Copper. I do admit that I enjoyed Dragon Outcast a little bit more this time around than I did during the first time.

I am, indeed, looking forward to re-reading Books 4 and 5 and finally getting into Book 6.

message 20: by Cole (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cole I see, well then that is good; if politics are interesting to you than all the better. I also, enjoy politics but not as much as a good adventure. So then is it the character that makes this book not as agreeable?
I am also looking forward to rereading then rest of this series, for now though I am in the middle of rereading Temeraire.
Anyway, enjoy!

message 21: by F.J. (new) - rated it 3 stars

F.J. Hansen Sort of the character, but mostly it's the weak climax that knocked my rating down to 3 stars. I just didn't find the duel between the Copper and Dragonblade as thrilling as it could have been.

message 22: by Cole (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cole I would have to agree. I think the reason being was that he wasn't a bad ass about the fight. I know that sounds shallow but I think that contributed a lot to the feel of the fight. On the other hand I thought it was true to the character and more realistic.