Julie's Reviews > Sweet Surprise

Sweet Surprise by Candis Terry

bookshelves: avon-publishing, e-book, edelweiss-review, contemporary-romance

Sweet Surprise by Candis Terry is a 2015 Avon publication. I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher and Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

I have read one of the Sweet, Texas books previously and I loved it, so I was more than ready to dive into this one. I was not disappointed. I sincerely enjoyed this modern contemporary with adult characters who have real life issues that many can relate to... and a hot fireman.

Fiona is putting her life back together after her amicable divorce from Jackson. She is about to open her own pastry shop and is a mom to four year old Izzy. Fiona is determined to put her little wild streak to bed once and for all and make a success of her new business on her own without any outside help. Men and romance are off the table, for the moment at least.

Mike is Jackson's best friend and a fireman. He has a very complicated family and is the one everyone turns to during a crisis to fix things again. He has a big time crush on Fiona, but since she is his best friend's ex-wife, he thinks that is a line guys don't cross when it comes to women. It's in the code book and everything.

But when Jackson's mother “wins” him at a charity auction, she cashes in by assigning him over to Fiona to help get her shop opened. Mike is not thrilled with this development, not because he doesn't want to help Fiona, but because it's going to be pure torture being that close to her and have to keep his hands to himself.
Sure enough it doesn't take long for the couple to realize fighting their attraction to one another is futile. But, there is a lot to consider. Telling Jackson for one, introducing Mike to Izzy , and all the personal baggage the pair carry around with them. But, don't these wonderful people deserve a little happiness of their own?

I thought this story was a down to earth realistic look at two people who have made mistakes in the past and are trying desperately not to repeat those mistakes. But, in their efforts to avoid screwing up again, and trying to be all things to all people, they are both paralyzed by fear, so much so they are missing the opportunity for happiness that is right under their noses.

Izzy is absolutely adorable! I was happy to see Fiona didn't all together lay “naughty Fiona” to rest. Mike has been pulling his family out of messes for so long it has come to define him. In a crisis, if they call, he drops everything and runs to the rescue. But, what about his own life? His own happiness? Can Mike finally let his family work out their own issues and focus on being the man Fiona has always dreamed was out there for her? The one she deserves?

I love when a contemporary novel these days employs more mature couples, adds realistic situations and conflicts, then shows the way to work out life's dilemmas without behaving like little whiny children ,with all that over dramatic angst. There is real depth, and emotion, a, few tissue grabbing moments, but the ending is absolutely the stuff fairy tales are made of. I think this book will appeal to everyone who loves reading within this genre.
Great Job! 4.5 rounded to 5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweet Surprise.

January 21, 2015 – Started Reading