Heathyre's Reviews > Bites: Ten Tales of Vampires

Bites by Rayne Hall

Recommended to Heathyre by: Tomoson

If I could just be clear on one thing...Vampires DO NOT sparkle in the daylight! Now that I've gotten that off of my chest, if you like the traditional, blood-sucking, dangerous type of vampire then this anthology is for you. Once again, Rayne Hall has strung together a collection of vampire stories written by ten authors who each have their own creepy, chilling, funny, thought-provoking and scary stories about the undead.

Are vampires to be pitied for their vulnerabilities, or envied for their powers? How do we know who is a vampire? How do we know what vampires want from us? What if they are expressions of our own forbidden desires? What if the victims give their blood willingly, in return for a boon? What if they drain from their victims not blood, but something more precious - their courage, their faith, their ability to love? Is what they offer a fair exchange for what they take? Do you yearn for thrills, for immortality, for everlasting youth? Would you be willing to pay for this with your blood, your life, your soul?

Ten authors probe these questions in their tales. Each story in this book explores a different concept of vampires, a different question, a different danger. To reflect the authors' individual voices, you will find both American and British words and spellings in this book.

1. TANGLED DREAMS by Liv Rancourt
Sometimes it's safer to leave history's secrets alone.

2. REALITY BITES! by Jim Bernheimer
Vampires have problems just like the rest of us.

3. NIGHT TRAIN by Rayne Hall
The train is about to enter a tunnel - and vampires are on board.

4. WINTER FLOWER by Jonathan Broughton
Dark desires unfurl where shadows thrive.

5. IT'S IN YOUR BLOOD by Pamela Turner
Be careful when accepting an invitation.

6. THE LAND OF THE RISING SUN by Debbie Christiana
When you help someone, it may come back to bite you.

7. THE FLEDGLING DOUBT by Lana Bange
What if you're one moment too late to protect a victim?

8. THE DHAMPIR'S KISS by Carole Ann Moleti
Can any vow survive immortal life?

9. EXILE by April Grey
Death could be just the beginning.

10. WHY I WON'T READ SONG OF SOLOMON by Douglas Kolacki
A vampire may feed off a victim without leaving bite marks on the neck.

What I liked most about this collection is how different each author approached the concept of their vampire (not all vampires are blood drinkers) in the story. Just when you think how the story will end, there's a twist! I especially enjoyed Rayne Hall's Night Train, a macabre story following the adventure Shelley had one evening while touring Switzerland. She decided to board a train and struggles to find a sleeping car to occupy for the trip - once she does settle into one for the evening she is interrupted by the conductor who warns her about robbers and vampires. She think's he's joking but the other occupants of her car nod in agreement. She thinks about getting off the train at the next stop, but to her horror the next stop isn't until morning. All she can do is wait it out and see who doesn't last the night!

I received a copy of this book complimentary for review purposes. Opinions are 100% my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bites.

January 21, 2015 – Started Reading